Removing grout from mosaic tile. [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Removing grout from mosaic tile.

lbaker
07-24-2001, 02:02 PM
I am in need of information. I recently hired help to finish a bathroom remodeling project. I am new at tiling and needed the bathroom done quickly. The project involved tiling a tub and two walls with small blue glass mosaic tiles and the floor with 16in tiles. All looks ok except for a few areas where the grout is covering the entire blue tile plus a couple other problem areas. Question number 1 - How do I remove the grout off the tile without scatching the tile? In addition, after numerous attempts of trying to contact the tiler (to fix the problem areas), he has not returned my messages. Question number 2 - What recourse can I take? Basically this project can not be finished and the bathroom is unuseable until the tile job is completed and sealed. I assume I will have to finish this project myself considering I've already paid the tiler and I really don't expect to hear from him. Your suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links

Bud Cline
07-24-2001, 04:20 PM
Sulfamic acid and a toothbrush should clean the tiles surface.

As far as your recourse, you've answered your own question. Unless you are aware of some serious malpractice in the tile installers installation work then you're probably better off to forget it and move on with your project.

John Bridge
07-24-2001, 05:15 PM
Ms/Mr Baker,

I don't know about Florida, but many states have contractor registrars who can help. Our man Art (tile police) is in Florida. He'll be along to tell you more about that.

If you try the acid, be careful not to let it run into and under the joints. It can loosen the tiles. Saturate the area you intend to work on with clean water before you begin. This will help. You might also try simply chipping the grout off with a small chisel. Don't you have any spare pieces?

Derek & Jacqui
07-24-2001, 05:33 PM
You could try a piece of wood (comfortable hand-sized) if the area is not to big. Dip it in water and rub over grout.

Bri
07-24-2001, 05:49 PM
Can you use acid on Glass tile? Is etching a problem?

Derek & Jacqui
07-24-2001, 05:56 PM
Yes, you can use acid on glass. After all, it used to be sold in glass containers. Make sure that the acid is diluted (approx 5 / 1).

Bri
07-24-2001, 05:59 PM
What was I thinking?

John Bridge
07-24-2001, 07:23 PM
You may have been wondering why it's no longer sold in glass containers. :D

chip
07-24-2001, 08:29 PM
I only have one thing to say to you, PLASTICS.

I'm new here and as far as associations and or regulatory comittees, I can't help you.

Contact the National tile contractors association, at 601-939-2071. They should be able to put you in touch with a local member.

I like the wet piece of wood idea.

Art

Rob Z
07-24-2001, 09:15 PM
Art

That was a good 'un.

Rob

Derek & Jacqui
07-26-2001, 06:12 PM
John
Acid is now sold in platic because to many glass containers got broken.
I don'nt know if you can go into a drug store over here and buy a bootle of SPRIRIT OF SALTS.The lasy one i bought was still in glass.
Art
Had the pleasure of using Bonsal grout today.Why are there perforations towards the top of the bag?

John Bridge
07-27-2001, 06:36 AM
I was just joking about the glass containers.