mixing polyblend grout [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : mixing polyblend grout

TJ
04-20-2005, 10:11 AM
The instructions on the box say use 3 pints for the entire 10 lb box, with up to an additional pint. The entire box will cover 200+ sq ft, so I want to mix up smaller portions. Does anyone have any idea of the amount of water for a solid measuring cup of grout? I'd rather not try to divide the box into 16 equal piles.
Thanks, TJ

Sponsored Links

jdm
04-20-2005, 01:30 PM
TJ --

Do you have a way to accurately weigh your cup of grout? Like a decent kitchen scale?

The pro will tell you to mix by consistency -- add water s-l-o-w-l-y, mix thoroughly until you reach the desired peanut butter (no, not chunky) consistency. Then slake (fancy word for let sit for 10 min.), mix again, and go to town.

If you are grouting a large area in sections, keep an accurate record of the amounts of grout and water used. Mixing each batch with the same proportions will help to achieve the same color throughout.

TJ
04-20-2005, 01:33 PM
no, but i might get one if no one can give me a rough idea.

Mike2
04-20-2005, 02:00 PM
TJ, for a ballpark mixture by volume try a 1/4 cup of water to 1 cup of grout. Reserve some of the liquid at first until you get the exact ratio down pat. After slaking for 10 - 15 minutes the mix will likely thicken up. Shoot for thick milkshake consistancy.

Oh and one more thing, begin with no more that 20 sq ft at a time until you get the hang of it. You don't want clean-up to get away from you.

TJ
04-20-2005, 03:22 PM
Thanks, Mike and Jeff. I'm going to mix up a very small amount tonight to test the caulk and grout colors. I'll put a pic up on my big thread.