Michael Byrne's Article [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Michael Byrne's Article

Amelia
07-22-2001, 06:25 PM
Hey John, where is this "life altering" article by Michael Byrne located? It seems that if I'm to create a successful shower and tile job I must read it. Could you give me the URL or something? I would really appreciate it, I keep reading reference after reference to it in the postings here! Also, could I just walk into any "Books-to-Many" and purchase a copy of your book? Do you have a video?

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
07-22-2001, 07:01 PM
Hi Amelia,

We haven't pointed you to Mike's famous (or infamous) article because you are using a plastic shower base. MB's piece is on installing the flexible pan liner that goes under a ceramic tile base.

But it's not top secret, so here it is:

http://www.jlconline.com/jlc/archive/kitchen/mortarbed_showers/index.html

You might be able to find my book at a Barnes and Noble store, but since it's getting old (like some people I know) you may be better off buying it on the Internet. Here's the link:

http://shop.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=2I80JDJ9EU&mscssid=SX37HAJ3JVS12J2W001PQUW8ME9WFTR9&srefer=&isbn=0830625720

They have it at Amazon.com, too:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0830625720/o/qid%253D941987707/sr%253D8-2/103-9539161-8303826

Check both of them to see who currently has the best price. Either way, I get a little added to my royalty check, which my wife spends as soon as it arrives. So Patti thanks you.

Bud Cline
07-22-2001, 08:36 PM
Hey Amelia, I don't have a book to sell but my wife and I have some old pajamas and some thro pillows we can sell ya. Just email me for prices.

JC
07-23-2001, 11:00 AM
That was a good article from Micheal , just read it.
My question is what do the new codes say about installing a moisture membrane "on top" of the mortarbed but directly underneath the tile.As opposed to the old way?
Such as the Kerdi system is designed to prevent mold build-up in the mud.
Is this going to be the new spec? Anyone know?

I imagine it is already a spec with certain local codes in certain parts of the country. Am I correct?

John Bridge
07-23-2001, 11:07 AM
JC,

We've sort of been discussing this over at the Hangout. They seem to be doing a lot of it in Australia, and I've got a request in down there for further information.

I personally think it's time has come. I'm not so sure about the kerdi system, because I don't like the way they recommend doing seems (with thin set). The drain they have developed looks great, though.

I don't know that any local codes have been altered. I would bet that they haven't.

Our contact inside the Tile Council of America, Dave Gobis, is AWOL right now. I'd like to hear his thoughts on it.

Shift over to the hangout and pick up the thread there.

John

JC
07-23-2001, 01:49 PM
Well even without the kerdi, (and I do agree with the seams not being as good as other systems.
Even using nobleseal TS with the nobleweld 100 or even nobleseal 150 (if you don't have bare CPE showing) would work pretty good.
Personally I don't see any differance with using those same seam sealer products with Kerdi(since it is basically the exact same thing cept thinner).I would'nt be afaid to do it but then again I have been known to do dumber things.

Bri
07-23-2001, 05:32 PM
I'll be trying the Kerdi system tomorrow in a wash area at a food plant...wont be using the Kerdi drain though...just heard the other day that it's not CSA approved..so plumbing inspectors have given it the pink slip, on new home installations...I'll let you know how the seems work John.

Brian

John Bridge
07-23-2001, 06:01 PM
Okay Bri, TC,

Please start a new post at the Hangout. I'm trying to get all this strictly technical stuff over there. I think it scares new people off.

John