Shower pan prices??? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Shower pan prices???

JTile
04-04-2005, 09:21 PM
Oh no, not another price thread! :)

I know pricing is really relative to different areas, but what do you guys generally charge to pour shower pans? How much difference in price for different size pans?

I've recently went on my own and am having to play little guessing games when it comes to figuring out these sort of things and I don't want to be way to high or to low. :crazy:

Justin

Sponsored Links

Charles P
04-04-2005, 09:24 PM
How do you install your pans?Hot mop and float,vinal liner,kirbi?

JTile
04-04-2005, 09:30 PM
PVC Liner. I'm starting to do pans for an interior deco company and they will supply me with whatever materials I need so its just the labor costs that I'm trying to figure out. I've already tried to talk them into buying some kerdi but they won't go for it. Maybe I should insist.........

Charles P
04-04-2005, 09:38 PM
I charge the same rates to tile the pan and the walls.If your wondering on installing a pan liner around here they average 250.If you charge the company
for labor only since they are suppling the materials figure between 125 to 200
depending on size and how complex.

grout guy
04-04-2005, 11:42 PM
$65. per square foot.
I believe a lot of the shops around here even charge $75.

mike
aka The Grout Guy

tileguytodd
04-05-2005, 04:55 AM
40.00 s/f standard and square
60.00 s/f for any angled pans
This includes Preslope ,notching, Liner, Curb, final float.

So a 3x3 Square pan =360.00
a 4x4 neo angle = around 5-600.00 (the pan costs more but theres generally less tile and more glass to these.Final costs on a neo angle generally come out similar per S/F of finished area)

Arn
04-05-2005, 08:32 AM
Geeze louise! I must be too cheap! I charge 200~250 for a 3X5 pan, thats like 17.00/s.f.

Someone in the Northwerst chime in with what you charge.

~at 60~75 dollars a s.f. would make the above pan cost the consumer about a grand! Just cant see that in my area.

tileguytodd
04-05-2005, 01:34 PM
Arn, find out what a plumber charges in your area and you'll raise your rates.
they charge more to do less!!
The day of the 200.00 shower pan ended about the same time the Vikings lost thier 4th super bowl :uhh: :laugh2:

stullis
04-05-2005, 02:25 PM
A decent fiberglass pan is going to cost $500-$1000 for just the pan alone not installed. Personally I think a tile pan is nicer and should cost at least as much when done.

John Bridge
04-05-2005, 02:57 PM
Well, let me get clear on exactly what you guys are talking about. New pans? Just the mud and liner? No tile?

Because if I tear into an existing shower to replace the pan my prices start at $1,000. That's for a pan replacement complete, ready for showering as soon as it cures a couple days. I've never heard of square foot pricing.

JTile
04-05-2005, 04:00 PM
Wow, I though that I might be high at 300-350 just to pour the pan. Guess not. The guy I'm subbing for said he'll pay whatever I want, as he has no one else to do them. Now I'm starting to think...hmm.....

Off topic but I was in this warehouse today, and saw a roll of Ditra. Never used it myself. I asked the guy about it and he said that he had a guy use it on two different jobs and both jobs ended up with cracked tile and he will never use it again. I didn't have time to ask for details but was surprised to hear that since so many guys here seem to love it. Is there anyway that someone who wasn't familiar with it could mess up so badly putting it in, that the install is bound to fail?

surferjoe
04-05-2005, 04:13 PM
60-75 a sf? holy snikies... i paid 1300.00 for a plumber to rough in and trim out my new bathroom and my shower is about 6x6. but the price i paid didnt include the mud bed just preslope

opiethetileman
04-05-2005, 04:31 PM
I can say this if you are caught here in Duval county doing a pan without a permit you are in the hot seat. I know florida is strict on pans. Joh how can you do a pan with out a permit?? I thought the permit and plumber excluded us tile guys from a warranty issue. I m not saying you cant do one but I know for a fact they are cracking down on permits and pans. I do a pan tear out and 3 foot up in the shower I bill it out for 1600 bucks that includes a plumber and permit and new tile etc. But for a little more you can drop the whole sucka and start over.

John Bridge
04-05-2005, 05:53 PM
How can I do it? I live in Texas, and I live and work out in the county. No inspectors on residential, amigo. :)

Bill Vincent
04-05-2005, 06:00 PM
Based on a 3' wide shower, 100.00 per linear foot of length, and add 30.00 per foot over the 3' width. That includes all materials for the pan plus install, NOT including tile or labor for tile-- just the pan.

stullis
04-05-2005, 06:35 PM
Is there anyway that someone who wasn't familiar with it could mess up so badly putting it in, that the install is bound to fail?

Absolutely. All they have to do is install it improperly. It's not difficult to put it in correctly if they took any time at all to learn about the product. Unfortunately many have the additude that "We've been doing tile for 20 years and never had a problem". Yeah right.

Hey maybe you could take it off his hands cheap. ;)

JTile
04-05-2005, 06:49 PM
Hey maybe you could take it off his hands cheap. ;)

Cheap..hah, I'm sure he'd just give it to me. He never wants to see the stuff again. Not much there at all though. Probably only 30-40 sq ft. But I guess its enough that I could "play" with it and try the stuff out. Any special secrets to putting it down? I've seen the video and read all the stuff, and it almost seems as if someone would have to try and mess up an install of this stuff to not get it right. :crazy:

tileguytodd
04-05-2005, 07:26 PM
Joh how can you do a pan with out a permit?? I thought the permit and plumber excluded us tile guys from a warranty issue.

Opie, up here the plumbers dont do the pans.hell most of them dont even know how.The ones that do ask the homeowner who is going to do the tile work.When the homeowner says Tilewerks or Dorholts the plumbers just tell them we wont do it,they'll just tear it out anyways!! ;)
I wont warrnty a pan that i dont do and a plumber will not warranty a pan that they install after a tileguy finishes it.
If it fails they will always say the tileguy damaged it so if we follow that scenario and the potential is there that i am going to eat a bad pan it will be because i screwed it up not somebody else that got payed for it!!!

If florida law says plumbers do the pan,it should be the complete pan including the final slope and it should be inspected after a leak test has been performed.If this isnt happening,i see real potential problems with this situation.

Rd Tile
04-05-2005, 07:30 PM
2 old time plumbers on my block, 25 years plus each in business, installed hundreds of lead pans, was code here, neither ever heard of a Pre-Slope or has installed one. :D

cheryle
04-07-2005, 09:41 AM
Hey Aaron,

I think your giving your shower pans away It depends where you live in Oregon, I live in the Portland area and charge around $500.00 for an average sized pan with preslope, $200.00 more if they want a bench and about $175 - $200.00 ea. for niches. You may not be able to get that if your in one of the smaller areas.

Where are ya from anyway?

sailfishoney
04-12-2005, 04:12 AM
200 dollars for a standard shower plus materials. and for a custom, i once did one with 3 drains 6 shower heads, i charged 900 dollars and they didnt blink an eye. if i got to sweat there going to pay.

sailfishoney
04-12-2005, 04:16 AM
I am from florida and I would not let a plumber touch a pan that i will tile. 9 times out of 10 he doesnt even get the shower pan material straight. the setters here, we even set the drains, and we install the durrock. I insist..................florida does not require permits for pans. our quidelines are pretty tough getting a license maybe thats why i dont know, but most setters here can pack a floor blind folded. we rarly use pre floors.and that would not be florida law standards. it would fall under each city or county codes.and specs and to set things straight i am not knocking our plumbers. we pull our own toilets too plumbers sets them and grouts them. i tell my plumbers leave the grouting to me. they like that

shortguy
04-12-2005, 02:29 PM
SW Florida you can expect 6.00-7.00 a sq. ft. subing through a store, hence I dont do pans for stores.

MTS
04-12-2005, 09:04 PM
We will not warranty a pan that a plumer puts in. When we show up to do a shower we just want the pipe sticking up out of the ground. Majority of the time it is not even straight. To set the drain and make the shower ready to tile it will cost around $800 for a 4X6 shower.

Beaux
04-18-2005, 10:42 PM
How can I do it? I live in Texas, and I live and work out in the county. No inspectors on residential, amigo. :)
AMEN!

K_Tile
04-19-2005, 08:34 PM
$600.00 and up. No material, no tearout, just the labor:)

John Bridge
04-20-2005, 05:55 AM
Hi Beaux, :)

Where the heck is Spurger, Texas?