Scratched Marble Tiles [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Scratched Marble Tiles

Eric
07-20-2001, 09:47 AM
I have reecently bought a home that has marble tile in the master bathroom. Some of the tiles have been severly scratched while others look like they've been etched by splashes of cleaner or something. I believe I'll have difficulty in getting a match so replacement may not be an option. Can marble tiles be refinished to remove scratches and etching?

Sponsored Links

Uri
07-20-2001, 09:54 AM
Eric, I am affraid you will have to replace the whole floor.
Sorry,
Uri

Eric
07-20-2001, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the replying promptly. I wish you had a better anser though.
Thanks again.

John Bridge
07-20-2001, 02:15 PM
Hi Eric,

While it might be possible to have the floor reground and polished, the cost would probably be prohibitive.

Hi Uri.

mgliner
07-20-2001, 04:08 PM
Shop around. I had a quote in Florida to resand/refinish marble floor, and to replace grout (bad installer - I should have done this floor myself) 500 sq. ft for $2,000

John Bridge
07-20-2001, 05:00 PM
Welcome aboard, Yury. Please tell us what an "I&C Engineer" does. Or, just tell us what I&C is.

[Geez, maybe I'm the only one who doesn't know. I'm sure gonna look ignorant -- again.]

mgliner
07-20-2001, 05:44 PM
Hello John! I always enjoyed reading this forum : very straight forward posts by you, Rob Zschoche, Bud Cline and others. Sometimes MB (Mike in JLC forum) strikes my nerves, but I understand where he is coming from .

I&C stands for 'Instrumentation & Control'. This is an old school terminology. Today's time it is called 'Control' only. My actual major was in Electrical, but my line of work is in the Control Systems.

As far as tile/flooring is involved: I have done some small tile jobs in the past. I also have done some summer construction work when I was in college. Recently I built all floors/baths in my new house (1,800 sq. ft. tile & marble, and 2,400 sq. ft hardwood - all on wheekends - 1 year), that how I developed an interest to the tile/hardwood flooring work.

Have a nice weekend.

tileprof
07-20-2001, 08:23 PM
Eric; try contacting a terrazzo company

Rob Z
07-20-2001, 09:25 PM
Eric

Contact Fred Heuston at http://www.ntc-stone.com for a possible solution. I just visited his facility for a stone fabrication class, and Fred runs numerous repair and restoration seminars.

I'm sure he will have an answer for you.

Please tell him I said "Hi".

rob

Eric
07-23-2001, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the info, Rob. I checked out the NTC and found a lot of the information informative. I yhave also come across a company called HERTRON that has a product line called VITREGEL that they claim can restore and polish marble tile without the use of diamond abraisives. Do you know anything about these guys and their product?

John Bridge
07-23-2001, 03:57 PM
I dont' know anything about that particular product, but I know about similar ones. Don't do it. Why don't you email Fred at NTC and ask him? He's a very amenable guy.

John