Pregnant and still tiling [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Pregnant and still tiling

kquilts
03-23-2005, 09:54 PM
Is there any aspect of tiling that I should not do while pregnant? We just found out tonight. Our son is 8 and we had given up on having another child. I want to finish tiling but don't want to hurt the baby in any way. Thanks for the advice. Karen

Sponsored Links

tilesnake
03-23-2005, 10:01 PM
Don't mistake the thinset for a choclate milkshake! :moon: :loaded:

Hamilton
03-23-2005, 10:06 PM
Im no doctor soooo.... i would describe the pysical aspects as well as the
chemicals you may be exposed to, to your doctor and take his advice.
As a tile contractor knowing what im exposed to i would say leave it alone,
dont chance it. your doctor may say use a dust mask the excercise is good for
you, who knows,.. ask the doc :D Did i mention im a father of 3, id never let
my wife around the stuff i work with while she was pregnant. :)

tilesnake
03-23-2005, 10:20 PM
I'm with Jack. All sorts of nasties in the tile game. :)

jjwq8
03-23-2005, 11:13 PM
OK guys fess up. How many of you have tiled and been pregnant at the same? How many have chosen to tile rather than be around pregnancy? How many have thought pregnancy better than tiling?

And congratulations Karen:D

Eric Philson
03-23-2005, 11:28 PM
I don't know, but I'm pretty confidant that there are some aspects of pregnancy that you shouldn't do while tiling. :D

Shaughnn
03-23-2005, 11:29 PM
hi Karen,
I'm no doctor either but here's a short list of hazzards that you might encounter and want to avoid because you are pregnant:
Solvent fumes
Electircution or shock
Lower-back strain
Abdominal compression from squatting, kneeling and bending
toilet dismantled when your bladder kicks into overdrive

There are obviously other helth risks, but I can't think of any others that would be of concern to the preganacy. Congrats, by the way! :yipee: My wife and I are spawning at the moment also and due in August. I don't think I could pay her enough to touch tile, even if she weren't pregnant. :D
She called me yesterday, in tears. She was going through some drawers looking for scotch tape and all of a sudden, "it just seemed so sad". :crazy: This morning we had a wonderful row over how dumb her doctors web-site was but she called later to appologize and ask if we should adopt a "safe word" to indicate a raging hormone attack? Can't wait till the poopy diapers and the sleepless nights. :)
Shaughnn

Tool Guy - Kg
03-24-2005, 12:07 AM
Congrats Karen :aparty: :dance: :aparty:

And dude....
My wife and I are spawning at the moment also and due in August.Shaughnn
That is super classy. I love it. Sweet. :D

Eric Philson
03-24-2005, 12:21 AM
Yeah, congrats to both of you!!!! Our newborn is two months now. I just can't seem to put her down. Makes life GOOD!!

Charles P
03-24-2005, 01:16 AM
Congrats,have your husband finish the work while you relax in the lazyboy.
Its your time to be pampered not to finish tiling.Your other kid is 8 old enough to start learning how to tile. :rofl: :aparty: :aparty:

kquilts
03-24-2005, 06:23 AM
I am still in shock! I told the husband he has lots of tiling to do before this one comes. He is finishing building an experimental aircraft in the garage. As soon as that is finished I will supervise the tiling.

Congratulations Shaughnn. Relax and enjoy this baby. I don't feel like I really enjoyed my son's baby years. The husband was finishing his Ph.D. and traveling with his job for weeks at a time. I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis shortly after our son was born and felt everything in the house had to be perfect before I could relax. This time I am going to relax and enjoy this baby!!!

Karen

opiethetileman
03-24-2005, 01:19 PM
Shaughn got get a diaper bucket and put some kerdi on it. And then it wont leak. That will be the ultimate diaper test for kerdi if baby poop and pee dont go thru neither will water. hahaaa. Congrats on you both. Unfornatly I cant have kids do to testicle Ca when I was 18 I am now 32. Im not crying by any means my wife has a 13 yr old daughter we have fun and do stuff togther. I have always wanted a kid to teach something other than tile.

smee
03-24-2005, 01:41 PM
Karen - congratulations, baby is obviously WAY more important than any tile job....

Experimental Aircraft?

Shaughnn - Please accept my congratulations! Good to know there's one at least one more well bred mini shaughnn on the way.

best to you both.

jjwq8
03-24-2005, 03:10 PM
Experimental aircraft?:D:D
Ejector child seat? :D

Shaughnn
03-24-2005, 09:09 PM
Hi Karen,
I joke but I'm very very excited about the arrival of our little sommelier. I've "decided" to refer to the baby in the feminine, which our doctor finds "enlightened" and "progressive". We don't actually want to find out though and will be thrilled either way. Never having gone through this before, we are both scared and giddy at the same time.
How is the MS affecting you this pregnancy? Is yours very advanced or is it moderate enough that there aren't going to be many risks? I have a close friend with fairly advanced MS and, while she wants to have a baby, there are serious hazzards which she's not certain she wants to confront. I sincerely wish you the best possible fortune in this!
Thank you Linda. Of course I'd accept your congratulations. I'm expecting you to be available for occasional sitting duty. :D
Shaughhn

Steve in PA
03-24-2005, 09:33 PM
a little sand and cement and hard work is good for you both.

just leave one tile out.

after your baby is born :yipee: , skim that space over with some fast setting mix and put his or her hand & foot print in it. :cool:

kquilts
03-25-2005, 09:46 AM
Shaughnn, MS has affected every aspect of my life. Before I got pregnant with our first child I ran a marathon, loved to run, rollerblade, scuba dive, water ski, jet ski, garden, sew, and watch Star Trek. I had a great teaching job and was constantly busy with friends and activities. About a month after our son was born I lost my sight, bodily functions, and the ability to walk like a normal person. I had terrible fatique and was in constant pain. Life as I knew it was gone. It took many years to recover my sense of self. When our son was going into first grade I decided to go back to work. It has been very hard, but I needed to know I could do it. I have also built the confidenct to do other physical things like tiling.

From everything I have read pregnancy is not hard on ms. It is after the baby is born that it could be very bad. I am prepared this time and will make arrangements for help. My husband will also be a help this time around. Before he was working towards becomming an astronaunt. He was a finalist in 2000, but was medically disqualified for slight high frequency hearing loss. He has really started to put family first.

Enjoy every second of your new baby! You will blink your eyes and those precious moments will be gone.

Karen

flatfloor
03-25-2005, 06:10 PM
Shaughhn, congratulations, wait till you hold her in your home for the first time, unbelievable. :)

Eric Philson
03-25-2005, 09:06 PM
Try giving birth in your own home. It's fabulous. You'll never look at childbirth the same again. Or maybe you'll never look at your home the same again. :)

tile contractor gal
03-26-2005, 12:25 AM
I was lucky enough to get laid off before I got pregnant and then I went on disability and left the tile world behind for about 4 years. But I remember doing a volunteer job for Habitat for Humanity when I was about 5 months pregnant, just gluing on bathroom shoebase. That was when I realized that I simply couldn't do it anymore, I couldn't bend very much.

But I worked in my art studio with a screwgun noisily jostling my stomache and fellow artists thought I was nuts.

Home births........oh boy, I did it with both my kids without painkillers too. Looking back, I must have been absolutely insane. Noone knows pain like a woman in childbirth.

It's the first child that completely and irrevocably changes your life because there is no way that you can ever know what it is going to be like. Like the midwives say, before your first child, go and do ALL those things you want to do like loud rock concerts and other "single" type events. Because it'll be a long time before you can do them again. So good luck Shaughnn with that first one, your life will never be the same again! It's the most mindblowing miracle you can experience.

Good luck Karen, and maybe your hubby can do that tile job? (the fumes are indeed nasty. I always say that's why us long term tilesetters are whacked, we've got too much cement dust in our system!)

Eric Philson
03-26-2005, 05:21 PM
My wife's given birth to the last three at home. She loves it and won't do it any other way. It's not for everybody. This last one was a water birth, in a big tub. That was her best and easiest yet.

Gary K
03-26-2005, 07:32 PM
Congrats on future arrivals!!!

Shaughnn

If this is your first one there is nothing like it. Your whole life will change (for the better). You would'nt think something that small would have such an effect on a grown man, but once they get here they will make you do things you never thought you would do, and the funny thing is you want to do them.

Good luck

Gary