kitchen tiles questions [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : kitchen tiles questions

pnj
03-14-2005, 12:13 PM
I will be doing the tiles above the counter in our kitchen. I have a friend who has a kiln and has done plenty of custom tiles, as far as the creation of them.

I have done some installation of tiles, so I know about thinset and grout and setting tiles. (a little bit)

my question is, do I need to seal or do anything to the sheetrock before I install the tiles? I know in bathrooms you use hardibacker or some type of cement board.

I will have less then 30 tiles in the kitchen. there is a sink and a stove infront of them as well. so there will be water/grease/food stuff splashing up on occasion.

any and all suggestions are great.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

jdm
03-14-2005, 12:20 PM
If the drywall is painted, wash it well with a detergent to remove all grease and dirt and rinse well. If the paint is glossy, scuff it a bit with some sandpaper.

Then check the wall for flat with a long straightedge. You can fill small dips (less than 1/8" or so) with thinset. Come back here if the wall is more unflat than that. It will be much easier to get a good looking tile job done if the wall is flat first.

pnj
03-14-2005, 12:29 PM
the wall is pretty flat. it's brand new, or was a year ago when we put it in.

the sheetrock is not painted. should I paint it or does it matter?

thanks again.

jdm
03-14-2005, 12:42 PM
You don't need to paint the drywall before tiling.

pnj
03-14-2005, 01:18 PM
cool. thanks again.

I am currently working on some designs for a hand carved/kiln fired piece of art that will be infront of the stove. we have a loose 'day of the dead' theme through out the house so we'll be carrying it into the kitchen as well.

here's a first rought drawing, done in Photoshop.

my thought is, I want more food items (maybe hot peppers, corn or other easily identified items) and probably less skulls or whole human shapes.

the size will probably be about 12" x 12".

Rhode Island Flooring
03-14-2005, 01:22 PM
I like it!!! nice theme!!:bonk:

jdm
03-14-2005, 01:35 PM
Call me old-fashioned but I would rather stay away from anything that suggests cannibalism in my kitchen.

GraniteGirl
03-14-2005, 01:37 PM
Cool design! :cool:

Maybe replace all but four of the skulls with hot peppers and corn in your border, keeping the skulls on the corners.

I'd have serious doubts about the cook's abilities if I saw all that many skulls adorning the range top :rofl:

Adriana :D

LittleJerry
03-14-2005, 02:01 PM
Oh my. I'm reminded of a Seinfeld-

"Let's just replace "hail of shrapnel" and "scar tissue" with "string of pearls" and "raspberry scones" and change "kicking in a scull" to "strolling in a dewey meadow" :)

Dave Taylor
03-14-2005, 03:19 PM
the upper right most skull on the enclosed Photoshop tile representation kinda looks like CX's posting icon.

Sorry CX... the fish in the center kinda look like I feel... about the whole design... though it is unique. :--).

Raymond S
03-14-2005, 06:23 PM
Nothing like walking into a nice cheerful kitchen.

sugarbeth
03-15-2005, 05:34 PM
I think your kitchen will be cool! I can't wait to see the finished tiles - this sort of unusual tilemaking is the sort of thing that I'm wanting to do myself.

pnj
03-15-2005, 06:31 PM
we don't plan on having the tiles be dreary and dreadfull, that is for other sections of the house. ;)

the kitchen will be festive and happy, just differently then yours. :D

catamount
03-16-2005, 05:54 AM
Maybe to mix it up a bit, you could use fish heads, and human skeletons! :)

shutterbug
03-16-2005, 06:49 AM
Can you delete that before my husband gets any ideas? I like it. I like the colors and the creativity. I have to wonder what brought about the skulls though... I get the fish heads. Will the final tiles be drawn like that too? I think that adds a lot to your example tile?

Definitely different!

pnj
03-27-2005, 09:39 AM
well, I got a big block of clay and have started on the actual tiles. right now I'm just making various tiles to get a feel of what I can do with the clay.

I won't be able to fire them in the kiln, or do any of the painted tiles for a few weeks. so for now it's just making 3D tiles.

we are doing two kinds of custom tiles. one is the carved, 3D tiles that will go over the stove. the other kind will be on store bought but hand drawn. the style of drawing will be a loose one somewhat like the drawings above.

who knows, by the time I'm done making a bunch of tiles, we'll probably scratch the whole idea and just paint the kitchen...... :) :twitch:

housefire
03-27-2005, 09:48 AM
Hey - I think that's a cool theme! I don't have any skeleton hangups - I couldn't though.... my fiancee is a forensic scientist, so we tend to have alot of interesting items around the house.

Anyway, if you are looking for ideas (or just want to bypass the whole homemade process) I found a bunch of day of the dead tiles on eBay.

Seems you aren't alone in your idea!

jdm
03-28-2005, 12:30 AM
┐Dia de los muertos?

┐En la cocina?

íCaramba!

sugarbeth
03-28-2005, 02:04 PM
pnj~ you should make a plaster mold of your 3D tiles as you make them, then you can press out a whole bunch. :)

Those ebay tiles are cool!

pnj
03-31-2005, 11:36 AM
here are a few pictures of some of the 3D tiles I've done recently. I'm just getting a feel for working with the clay and seeing what I can do.

then I will decide exactly what shapes we want on the tiles and do the final pieces.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/pnj666/peppers_skulls.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/pnj666/winebottle.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/pnj666/sunFace.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/pnj666/winevine.jpg

GraniteGirl
03-31-2005, 11:47 AM
:D You are having too much fun!

Adriana :D