Drilling into floor tiles. [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Drilling into floor tiles.

Tile Rookie
07-19-2001, 08:19 AM
Hey guys I need some help, go figure!

I need to put the threshold back down between my laundry room and garage. It's the metal type that is fastened with screws. This may seem a stupid question but what is the best way to attach this to my new floor tile. Concrete under ceramic floor tiles. I was going to drill holes and then fasten as I would into a concrete slab, but I don't want to crack the floor tiles, besides there will be a lot of foot traffic, so I want this to last. (What screws should I use, etc.) I don't want to do this twice! When I pulled up the threshold before I laid the tiles, it came up VERY easy! Any suggestions?
Thanks for all your help, the new floor and "step" look great!!! I found the Schluter edge in brass!!! VERY NICE! I could not have done this without you guys! Thanks again!

M.F.

Sponsored Links

kalford
07-19-2001, 08:30 AM
M.F.
Glad to know the tile turned out good.
Now on to that threshold.SILICONE !!! That's right,silicone.Apply a generous amount to the bottom of the threshold and press it in place.You should have enough that it oozes just a little.Position it where you want it and let it set.I guarrantee it won't come up and if you ever decide to change it you'll have a hell of a time getting it up too!! Use 100% clear.It seems to work the best.

For a finished look if it has screw holes in it just cut the screws off so they won't hit the floor and press them into some silicone in the holes.abra-cadabra......POOF !! DONE.

If you are sceptical try it out first.Put a piece of aluminum or whatever on a piece of tile with silicone and let it set a day or two then "TRY" to pull it off.

[Edited by kalford on 07-19-2001 at 10:35 AM]

Rob Z
07-19-2001, 07:54 PM
Keith is right ...I see the carpet guys doing it all the time. Seems to work well.

Rob

Uri
07-20-2001, 09:51 AM
It will work, will stick well but it will be elastic with a springy effect. If you want it rigid, as it would be with screws, use epoxy.
Best regards,
Uri

John Bridge
07-20-2001, 02:17 PM
Geez, Uri. What if he wanted to change the threshold someday?

Bud Cline
07-20-2001, 03:21 PM
Epoxy will ruin the tiles surface if ever the threshold is removed. If your gonna run that risk you just as well drill holes in it.

tileprof
07-20-2001, 08:42 PM
if both sides of this door is tiled i hope there is an expasion joint under the this threshold. i would sooner see a slab of stone as a threshold. If you purchase metal buy it without holes drill at grout joints, overdrill screw dia..inject epoxy then screw, put weight on.

Harry
07-22-2001, 07:18 AM
Tiles in the Garage??? Tileprof, what kind of car do you drive *grin*
Drill into the grout lines (which means you'll have to drill adjoining holes into the threshold) and screw it down. Now if you only have 2 or 3 grout lines available to drill into .... use a bit of silicon on the ends of the threshold for a little extra bond.

Harry

[Edited by Harry on 07-22-2001 at 09:27 AM]

tileprof
07-22-2001, 04:13 PM
and whats wrong with tiles on g floor!good idea! chevy astro harry

Bud Cline
07-22-2001, 07:37 PM
I've seen a lot of tile on garage floors over the years, in fact did one in 6X6 quarry last summer.