Sticky bumpy acrylic mortar [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Sticky bumpy acrylic mortar

edruss
03-13-2005, 06:15 PM
Dear Forum:

Terrific forum and great advice! I read where you recommend against using acrylic in a sloped mud sub-floor because it is hard to smooth and not needed. My question is whether I could use it for the mud walls, top and end of a buttress, two pictures of which are attached. :idea: Above the buttress, and the part of the curb that is shown, will be marble, and a glass partition. The buttress is 18 inches high. Using the acrylic will strengthen the mud on the buttress, which is the least rigid part of the shower. It will also stick to the PVC pan material better. I was thinking of using 1 lime, 2 cement and 9 sand, as specified for type S mortar. Will I be able to do this without getting into sticky/bumpy floating problems? :crazy: If I did use the acrylic, should I use it full strength or with some water? Also, are there any good tricks to getting everything flat, plumb and horizontal. :rolleyes: I had considered using CBU on the outside of the buttress, but have decided to try mud(dle)ing the whole buttress to make everything “monolithic”, as John Bridge likes to say.

Yours truly, Russ

Sponsored Links

Davestone
03-13-2005, 06:22 PM
Most of the admix's recommend not diluting with water, for max adhesion ability. But you could also coat the red with latex thinset ten use a regular mud, and the notch thinset would help hold the mud.You could always frame the work area with 1x4 clamped to both sides of the wall to screed to..like a tie beam. :)

edruss
03-13-2005, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the reply Dave (how do you do that so fast?). I did forgot to mention that before I float the buttress, I will put metal lathe over the whole thing. It will be held in place by fasteners on all but the inside surface and top. I assume from your reply that you don't think the sticky bumpy problem will be too difficult to handle. Russ

Davestone
03-13-2005, 06:40 PM
Well the admix isn't the ideal mud mix, by far, but some screeds will help, but you won't be able to make it very thick, on the vertical,at one coating..You could always make a scratch coat the first day,i like to use carotex if i need to hang mud up..but most people don't know what i'm talkin about. :) I'm gettin fast, cause i gotta be. :bow: