Redguard help fpr a newbie [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Redguard help fpr a newbie

tommyt
03-13-2005, 05:55 PM
I recently put some redguard over a few cracks about 1-2 mm (concrete subfloor...I'm getting ready to tile this floor). I let it dry for 4 hours. When I went back to look at it there was an uneven spot/ridge....so I wanted to see how well it was bound to the concrete floor. I pried at it with my fingernail and was able to remove a good part of the membrane simply by pulling it up.

I'm guessing this is not good. I scraped like hell and thought I had removed all of the old adhesive and dust. Any suggestions on where I went wrong?? The redguard that went into the crack seems to be in there pretty good.

Help...

Tom

Sponsored Links

Davestone
03-13-2005, 05:58 PM
Any dust will harm the adhesion, but it is concrete,and roll ons,aren't epoxy,they're not going to stick like iron,especially to trowelled concrete,or other foreign glues and such. :)

tommyt
03-13-2005, 05:59 PM
OK,

What should I do then?

Davestone
03-13-2005, 06:04 PM
What kind of adhesive was it?I would use a mesh with the redguard over the crack area after i washed the area off with soap and water. I'm not familiar with redguard, but most roll ons also have a mesh type membrane you can use with them. :)

Davy
03-13-2005, 06:09 PM
Semco is another membrane made by Customs. I have used alot of it over the years and it also will peel up easily. It's a different story after the tile is stuck to it. :) I don't think you have anything to worry about.

tommyt
03-13-2005, 07:06 PM
Thanks Davy.