Help with Shower [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Help with Shower

mbz1989
03-09-2005, 05:19 PM
My contractor has built a marbe tiled shower. Unfortunately, he did not use any shower liner to build the pan. He used Hardibacker and tiled it directly over Hadribacker using thinset.

I would like to fix it without ripping everything out. I was thinking of removing the floor tiles and hardibacker. Make a slope using the mud (or Proslope). Then use REDGARD liquid membrane over the mud to create the liner. The REDGARD allows the tile to be set directly on it using thinset mortar. I would also like to use the REDGARD over the side walls and the curb directly over the marble tile. I checked with the company which makes the REDGARD and they say it can be applied over tile and it will stick. I was then going to put tile over the REDGARD on the curb and the sidewall.

The reason I would like to use the REDGARD is that allows me to tile directly over it. This way I don't loose the curb height that much.

Would this be okay? or is there any other better way.

Your help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links

Davestone
03-09-2005, 05:42 PM
He didn't use a pan?Just tiled over hardi on the floor?Wow, i've never seen that.I haven't used redguard as the sole waterproofing in a shower floor,but i would tear out the floor and put the pan in.I know you don't want to go through this, but a leaky shower will just cause more problems.Don't have a pic by chance? :)

mbz1989
03-09-2005, 06:12 PM
No Pics, sorry.

I was going to tear out the floor and then build a pan using the proslope product form Noble company and then use this REDGARD as a pan liner. This way I can tile over the membrane directly.

Davestone
03-09-2005, 06:25 PM
The proslope is actually meant to use under a chloraloy pan,The problem with the paint on waterproofings is the junction at the drain.I would look in the liberry section and see what a shower floor should look like, then do the ...proslope.linerpan.mud.thinset.and tile. :)

mbz1989
03-09-2005, 08:44 PM
REDGARD is from Custom Products. They advertise on this forum. Here is a link for the REDGARD data sheet:

http://www.custombuildingproducts.com/docs/data_sheets/DS109%204-04R.pdf?user=diy&lang=en

In it you can see that it is approved as shower pan liner. The advantage is that tiles can be directly attached to it with thin set mortar. I also checked with a dealer of PROSLOPE regarding using REDGARD over PROSLOPE. They said that you can use it.

Jason_Butler
03-09-2005, 09:04 PM
Yeah we know what it says on the spec sheet. No doubt the material is waterproof and will serve as a liner - under one condition ; It must connect to the drain correctly. Any void at all near the drain OR if the Redgard clogs the weepholes will result in big problems down the road

The same issue applies to the custom fiberglass liners that are being done in my area

Jason

e3
03-09-2005, 09:12 PM
you can not use Pro Slope with out a mortar bed over it..

mbz1989
03-10-2005, 02:45 PM
e3, you are right. I will build the slope with "deck mud" instead of Proslope.