Shower pan leak test [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Shower pan leak test

JerseyGuy
03-09-2005, 03:22 PM
This is a great forum for newbies. So much great information!!

The one question I haven't come accross yet is whether it is a good idea to test a shower pan for leaks just prior to installing the tile. I've completed the pre-slope, pan liner (leak tested), final mud and curb. I was very carefull to protect liner when installing the vapor barier and CBU on the walls, but you never know. I'd rather find out about a leak now before I set all of the expensive tiles. Any thoughts?? Thanks!!

Sponsored Links

Davestone
03-09-2005, 04:30 PM
It's actually code in most places to test it overnight.You could buy a bladder from a plumbing supply,or rig one out of a thick balloon,with a little vaseline around it, maybe, put it in the drain pipe,blow it up,and fill the pan with water,maybe 1/2" from top,and mark the height,wait overnight, and pray. :)

JerseyGuy
03-10-2005, 03:59 PM
Davestone,

Thanks for the response. I've already tested the shower PVC membrane once, after I put it down over the preslope, and just before the top/final mortar layer went over it.

I wasn't aware that code required 2 tests (initial and final leak test) before you can install the floor tiles.

Are you sure it is ok to test it again? I wasn't sure if the mortar should be left submerged in water for an extended period of time.

Thanks again!!

Rd Tile
03-10-2005, 04:23 PM
You test it before the final mud bed goes over it, how did you do your first test, overnight or just pour water on the liner and let it run?:)

If you where carefull, installed it correctly and covered the weep holes from getting clogged, from the mud, you should be fine.:)

You can not test for liner leaks with mud on it, the mud will absorb the water overnight giving you a false reading.:)