Brick ties in monument? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Brick ties in monument?

lynndiwagon
03-08-2005, 10:26 AM
Greetings from Oklahoma! My name is Lynn Wagoner (male), 57 yrs. old and retired. Ha Ha I have certainly enjoyed this forum and it has enlightened me on the finer points of rebuilding my shower. I am now ready to build my bench, and wonder if I need to install a few brick ties from the CBU into the mortar assembly of the bench? Also, is the pre-slope under the shower pan a new idea? When tearing out the old 30 year old shower I noticed that the person had put the liner right on the flat slab floor. Of course it was full of water and very nasty under the sloped mud pack. The old cast iron drain had no weep holes even if the water had migrated to it. Thanks for all of the excellent advice!

Sponsored Links

bbcamp
03-08-2005, 10:29 AM
Welcome Lynn!

The brick ties are not necessary, your bench will be only 2 or so blocks tall.

Preslopes are not all that new, but at the time your home's construction, they weren't commonplace.

lynndiwagon
03-08-2005, 06:04 PM
OK, thanks a lot! Will continue on as John recommends.

John Bridge
03-08-2005, 07:47 PM
Wait a minute. Nobody, not even an Okie, gets to retar at 57. :D

Hi Lynn,

What Bob said about the brick ties.

I don't know what the standard was for pre-slopes 30 years ago. I was in the business, and I didn't know what a pre-slope was. ;)

lynndiwagon
03-09-2005, 08:52 AM
Ha Ha, good old gov't worker here....35 years. Retired so that I could work on all of these honey-do projects. So far I have lost about 20 lbs. and feel great. That sprinkler system in the yard just about killed me. This shower project has become very interesting. I now know why all weathermen recommend hiding in the shower when there is a tornado coming. If built according to you guys (which I'm doing) it is almost as secure as one of those concrete safe rooms.