Mortar bed shaower pan [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Mortar bed shaower pan

remodnman
03-07-2005, 04:04 PM
What is the minimum thickness of the sloped subfloor at the drain and the minimum thickness of the mortar bed at the drain? Because an old style subdrain (top half screws into the lower half, not bolted) was installed aprrox. 2 inches below the slab I can only extend my streainer 1.25 inches above the slab. Is that enough to install subfloor, pan and mortar bed at the drain. The 1.25 inches allows the floor tile to be slightly higher than the strainer and the shower pan material is approx 1/16 inch thick. Also, I've seen aricles that say the slopes of the subfloor and mortar bed should be 1/4 inch rise per foot from the drain. Does that mean the finished tile has a slope of 1/2 inch per foot?

Sponsored Links

Bill Vincent
03-07-2005, 05:44 PM
If you were to use wet mud for your preslope, you could go from whatever your elevation is at the walls (1/4" per foot to the furthest wall) to just about nothing at the drain, thereby leaving as much of that 1 1/4" for the drypack. Minimum you want to be at with the dry pack is 1-1 1/4". As for your question concerning the pitch of the slope, the 1/4" per foot is the finished pitch, as well as your preslope pitch, so by rights, your finished mud bed should be the same thickness all the way through.

John Bridge
03-07-2005, 07:30 PM
Hi and welcome. Please give us a first name. :)

remodnman
03-07-2005, 08:01 PM
My name is Gary Humphreys in Broken Arrow, OK. This is my first time on the forum so I'm not sure I know what I'm doing and who all gets this reply.

remodnman
03-07-2005, 08:22 PM
Bill,

Thanks for clearing up the slope and thickness questions. Your remark about wet mud raises more questions. A tile store here in town sold me TILECRETE, by QUIKRETE, to use for the preslope and mortar bed. Any experience with that? I've read where a lot of people just use portland cement and sand, 1 part cement to 4 parts sand for the mortar bed. What constitutes wet mud?

Gary