Not a tile question. Carport. [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Not a tile question. Carport.

zel
07-18-2001, 08:19 AM
Okay guys, you all seem quite knowledgeable about lots of stuff.
I have a rotting lean-to carport that I need to rebuild (but better). I don't know how much longer we will be in the house, so don't say "Build a garage." But, I have been thinking about building a real carport--with a trussed roof. Basically, a pole structure attached to the house--the house is an end gable, and the carport would be as well. I don't want to extend the roofline--I want to drop it maybe six inches.
My biggest question is what to do about tying it to the house. I need to have the front and back beams go through the brick veneer, right? Do I have to tie into the framing somehow, or is the brick enough to support it? If so, how?
How much more expensive do you think this would be than building the lean-to back (2x6 framing with a metal roof--probably about $500-$600)?
I hope I'm not committing some faux pas by asking this.

Sponsored Links

diane_holmes
07-18-2001, 09:09 AM
Dear Zel,

If you live anywhere in the tornado zone, hurricane zone, high-wind zone.... Your carport needs very solid footings, dug way into the earth. Otherwise... it will become a giant wing. Attaching to the house is not enough.

Best,

Diane, tornado survivor

John Bridge
07-18-2001, 04:23 PM
As to the beam question, they need to go through to the framing. Brick veneer is not structural.

And, you won't be able to build anything long-lasting for $600. The trusses would cost that or more.

But whatever you build, it must be "flashed" into the wall it abuts. Not looking at it, it's hard to explain, but I'm talking about metal flashing properly installed.

And I'm sorry, Diane, but it's pretty hard to make a carport tornado proof. It IS a flying wing. I know what you mean, though.

John, Hurricane Survivor (Alisha, 1983)

Bud Cline
07-18-2001, 04:38 PM
Suggestion!

Go to your local Building Inspection and Permit Office and they will tell you HOW YOU MUST build your carport. Chances are they aren't going to allow a "pole structure" attached to a dwelling. I think this is the place to begin with this project.

chip
07-19-2001, 05:59 AM
But what ever you do, you are now mandated to use tile through out the interior.

Hey, that's what you get for making a pas at this forum.

And who you calling a faux. I got your faux, sucka!!!!

Good luck with the project.

Art

tileprof
07-20-2001, 08:27 PM
BRAVO flatile!!!

Bud Cline
07-20-2001, 09:23 PM
What's a: tl,mm,apprentice instructor?