Grout Sealant??? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Grout Sealant???

Jamie
07-18-2001, 07:57 AM
Hello all.

I have finished tiling my entry a couple of days ago and am now wondering about applying a grout sealant. I asked the owner of the store where I bought my tiles if I should apply a sealant and he said I would be wasting my money.

What do you folks think?

Jamie

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
07-18-2001, 04:37 PM
Hi Jamie,

I've just about come full swing on sealers. A few years ago they WERE a waste of time, but I think the newer ones are worth the effort. A medium range sealer is now purported to last 5-7 years. I think that's a pretty good return for the expended time and money.

Aqua-mix makes good products, and they are readily available. There is a product called (appropriately enough) "Grout Sealer." They sell it at Home Depot in one-pint containers. The cost is about $8.

I think some of the others will have an opinion on this.

Bud Cline
07-18-2001, 05:01 PM
"Seal it". No more than it costs, it's good insurance against who knows what. Todays sealers work very well as far as I have seen. Follow the instructions and don't get that stuff on your tiles surface.

kalford
07-18-2001, 05:58 PM
Jamie,
Like John said,Aqua-mix makes a good and affordable sealer.Lowes carries it.HomeDepot carries "Tile-Lab" which is made by Custom Building Products and is also a good product.

Like Bud said,follow the instructions to the letter and wipe up any that gets on the tile surface.