Custom Installation pricing [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Custom Installation pricing

Mike C
02-20-2005, 10:39 AM
Please advise of a fair unit price for custom tile work. Last week installed twelve custom panels in a new tile showroom for the retailer I do some work for. I have always done commercial tile work and am lost on this project.It consisted of twelve 4'3'' x 5'0'' panels. They almost all have some custom work in them, but due to size and custom work it took a long time to complete, well alot longer than I am used to taking for the quantity. The panels are as follows:

1. Rio Bravo 16 x 16 porcelain tile laid on a diagonal with clipped corners and metal decos (6)

2. RA Gardena MA 13 x 13 porcelain tile with broken joint ( bricklay)

3. RA Gradena NO 13 x 13 porcelain tile straight lay with clipped corners and 4 x 4 FT LT Travertine tumbled

4. Roma Noce 12 x 12 porcelain on diagonal for field with Roma Nero 6 x 6 perimeter border on diagonal, then Roma Noce 6 x 6 cut on 45 to fill around Roma Nero in border

5. VB Portofino Beige 21 x 21 on diagonal with VB Portofino Beige 2 x 2 mosiac border inset on center tile

6. CWF Noce travertine 18 x 18 on diagonal, with Absolute Black granite cut to 3" x 12" strips for plain inset border, and CWF Noce travertine cut to 6" x18 '' strips for plain straight perimeter border.

7.TST Peacock 16 x 16 slate on diagonal

8. IMP Rapelano 14 x 14 porcelain straight laid with IMP Roselle 2 x 2 mosiac perimeter border straight

9. SM Old Uras 18 x 18 porcelain straight lay

10. SM Manyara 12 x 12 and 6 x 6 porcelain in pinwheel pattern

11. SM Serona 12 x 12 porcelain with broken joint

12. CWF Jerusleum grey 18 x 18 travertine on diagonal

I have read most all the post in reference to pricing per SF vs DAY however this is all subcontract work and we are required to use unit pricing for the benefit of the salepeople and measure personel. This is a very large retailer with probally 20 + salespeople, 2 measure men, and 25+ crews and does all types of flooring installation. He has set pricing for all flooring trades but the ceramic crews, he has not been in tile long, and due to the labor cost has the consumer pay us direct in most cases, but with an estimate on what the labor should be. CAN ANY ONE GIVE ME SOME IDEA OF WHAT IS A FAIR UNIT PRICE FOR COMPLETING WORK LIKE THIS ON A DAILY BASIS IN ALABAMA.

All the panels were laid over roofing felt ( TEMPORARY) on concrete.

Thank You in advance for all your help in this matter

Mike

Sponsored Links

Jason_Butler
02-20-2005, 10:45 AM
We have a member here from the Alabama area.

If he doesn't drop in , you can look him up in the "member list" and email him. His forum name is John K.

Jason

John K
02-20-2005, 04:06 PM
Mike,

What area are you located in? :)

stefan
02-20-2005, 06:19 PM
sorry I can't give you prices, but nice to see that somebody lays V&B tiles :)

michaelhazuka
02-20-2005, 07:53 PM
I tiled the DalTile showroom in Green Bay...everything was estimated by a unit price(I had about 200 display boards that were 3' x 5' in dimension). I charged my normal wall tile price($6.00/s.f.), and multiplied by the total square footage(15 s.f. per display). It was a considerable amount of tedious work, but if you took the total s.f. of 200 displays x 15 s.f. the total quantity of display work jumps to 3000 s.f. @ $6.00 = $18000.00. Not bad for two weeks worth of work. Kept my saw in one area and just set up a workstation to complete each display on.

I would assume that you should charge your display areas on a similar schedule. If you take the total s.f. and multiply by your normal install rate(for patterns), you should come up with a fair amount for your total labor. I wouldn't give the retailer a significant price break though...he'll expect the same type of deal whenever he gets in a bind on a regular installation. Make him pay just as if this was a normal tile installation regardless if this is for his showroom(there's a reason why he had you do the install versus his employed installers, I would assume??!!).

michaelhazuka
02-20-2005, 08:00 PM
I would also get the retailer out of the habit of giving an estimate for your portion of labor on his quote. It makes it nearly impossible to build anything into your bill for custom work.(I've been fighting this situation for about five years now where I live...the retail stores give an estimate for what they "think" the labor should be w/o any regard to custom layouts of larger format tiles). The retail store always gives the estimate on the low side, and it makes it extremely difficult to charge for any additional extras that might occur on a job. I assume he's using you as a subcontactor for the labor portion of the job...if he's not, disregard this message.

Bad situation that you need to change ASAP....

michaelhazuka
02-20-2005, 08:05 PM
In reference to this....

"He has set pricing for all flooring trades but the ceramic crews, he has not been in tile long, and due to the labor cost has the consumer pay us direct in most cases, but with an estimate on what the labor should be."

Mike C
02-20-2005, 09:26 PM
Mike,

What area are you located in? :)

Trussville---> John Kannalis???

Mike C
02-20-2005, 09:43 PM
I would also get the retailer out of the habit of giving an estimate for your portion of labor on his quote. It makes it nearly impossible to build anything into your bill for custom work.

Bad situation that you need to change ASAP....

Yes Michael I agree however I have given them a very detailed price sheet for which they should quote the job. I have a separate line item for every thing I could think of. I have been traveling all over the Eastern US installing tile for a company out of South Carolina for the last two years, well commercial floorcovering all scopes: tile, carpet, vct, HW, heat welded sheet vinyl, but I am ready to stay home now. I am missing my kids grow up. I was only home for about 6 weeks total last year and they are 7 & 5, and can't get that time back!!!! So I am going to just stay home and focus on setting tile, and ONLY tile, Thats what I enjoy and I do truly enjoy the detail required in the custom work. If you want to know a challenge I have installed about 15 Coldwater Creek womens clothing stores last year, if you have ever been in one you have seen the half circle in the entry made out of 12 x 12 China Gold (s@*T) sorry but it is Slate, and we have to pie cut it to get a 15-20 ft radius to line up with their entry columns. It is AWFUL to work with but gorgeous when finished! Well thats enough about me I am sure you have better things to be doing than reading my stuff.

Thanks for the info though
Mike

John K
02-21-2005, 05:08 AM
Mike,

Wrong John K. I'm located near Gulf Shores.. :)

Mike C
02-21-2005, 06:58 PM
Mike,

Wrong John K. I'm located near Gulf Shores.. :)

That's cool I'm sorry, did you do any work at the new mall in Malbis?

I spent 3 -4 weeks down there last Sept. & Oct. did the Coldwater Creek, Talbots, Casual Corner, and Kay Jewelers all within a short span of each other.

Mike