Sunken Living NO BULL NOSE [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Sunken Living NO BULL NOSE

nathan2000
07-16-2001, 03:20 PM
I have a sunken living room that is surrounded by hall and the dining room. The trick that I see is that there is a curve in the step that forms the living area. I was planning to get a tile that had a bull nose available, and then put the bull nose pieces up the "riser" portion of the step, to finish the look. The tile that my wife and I selected did not have a bull nose available, so we are having to consider different avenues. What can I do? I was reading earlier about a person on the board with a similar problem, and "Schluter edgeing" was recommended to him. I looked at their web sight and that looks like it might work for me, except it comes straight, and I have a curved floor edge. Can this material be bent to the shape of my floor?

And another side question about this whole thing is that I will be setting these tiles on a concrete slab. I have not yet removed the existing carpet, but I am afraid of what I might fine when I do. I read another list that said to treat the craks and problems and then just tile over them. What do I treat them with, that is if I have any.

Please help before I go crazy.

Thnaks in advance.

Nathan

Sponsored Links

Bud Cline
07-16-2001, 03:32 PM
nathan,

Pull your carpet first, then if you have cracks we can discuss their fixin' at that time, you know, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

As far as the Schluter.....you cannot bend the stair nosing and you also cannot bend the edge trim. I don't think I have seen any of these products from Schluter that are kerfed and bendable.

Tile without matching bullnose is not at all unusual and is a big pain in the butt. There are however plenty of tiles out there that do have matching bullnose, why not look at them?

With bullnose you could use them on top of the step thereby eliminating a grout line right at the steps front edge and in a bad place. Using the bullnose on top you would have to fill-in behind then with field tile.

Depending on the radius of your step the bullnose could be cut into smaller pieces thereby allowing them to follow a curve more uniformly. This can, I think, enhance the look of the job sometimes.

Then again...does the bullnose have to match the rest of the tile? A different colored bullnose would merely be a decorative feature, it's done a lot.

Ron
07-16-2001, 05:20 PM
Often in this case,I'll use an ogee moulding from a tumbled marble line,4" long so you can follow a radius.Also they are solid marble.Expensive(about $10 a piece)but throw a colour-enhancing sealer on them and they'll really make your tile job look classy.Wide range of natural colours too.Otherwise the Schluter edge profile comes also in a bendable unit,I think only the solid brass and nonanodized aluminum.This is only for the simple "schiene" profile that they sell,not the sloped or stair-edge nosing pieces.

kalford
07-16-2001, 06:05 PM
Nathan,
Schluter DOES offer a trim that can be bent and molded to fit any contour.Schluter Schiene can be produced with a special perforated anchoring leg.There is a surcharge for it,.50 cents a foot.It's available in Brass(highly recommended) or aluminum.

Bud Cline
07-16-2001, 06:16 PM
Thanks Keith,

Saved me having to look it up (Schluter).

John Bridge
07-16-2001, 06:16 PM
Never having tried it, but being an old drywall man (when I was an apprentice), couldn't you cut the flange with snips every inch or so and make most of the Schluter pieces work -- kinda like cutting the drywall corner bead to make it bend? [Love that word, "kinda."]

Bud Cline
07-16-2001, 06:30 PM
Unfortunately no John.

Actually it depends on the radius. Kerfing and bending doesn't usually work with Schluter. The top edge has a slight return (beefy) that won't allow it. I have done 90's by clipping a pair of 45's away from the foot stock, but when you bend it the aluminum tends to stress greatly and wants to break, also the finish distorts and tends to flake a little.

John Bridge
07-16-2001, 06:44 PM
Okay, Nathan. I tried, buddy.

Bud Cline
07-16-2001, 07:09 PM
Nathan 2000,

Most of us here tend to fall off the path from time to time, well frequently actually, I think in John's case it's from gripping all those long necks. Me, I usually can't even find the path, I have to have a Heineken's in each hand to maintain my balance, and I can't speak for these other guys.

So Nathan....tell us about this step sticky-out you talked about in your email and let's see what we can come up with, there is a way you know.

nathan2000
07-17-2001, 08:08 AM
Ok, Ron mentioned using an "ogee moulding" what is that? This will by my first time to ever tile, I know I picked a winner for a first project, I am not fimiliar with all of these terms. I am going to go to the home center this weekend and just see what all my options might be. Will they have the "Schluter" stuff, so that I can see what it looks like, or is this stuff by order only? Thanks for your help. If you have any more Ideas let me know.

Bud Cline
07-17-2001, 08:20 AM
Nathan,

The term "ogee" is used to describe an architectural profile used for centuries in building. There are some variations such as Roman Ogee, that's ogee not orgy. Since Ron is familiar with this we'll let him splain it to you.

Hey Ron when you get done "splainin'" then tell him about the ogee too.

The major home centers aren't really the place to get an education, you'll come away with more bad useless information than anything, but it doesn't hurt to look around. Most home centers carry some type of "tile edgeing" not necessarily Schluter but a knock-off of sorts, it will work too.

Don't let us trip you up with our terminology, just ask.

Ron
07-17-2001, 12:09 PM
Bud seems to know a lot more about it than I do,I just like the sound of the word ogee.Say it with me..."oh-geeee".Sorry,Nathan.The profile of it resembles a chair-rail moulding,it's quite decorative and is used often as countertop edge and in fireplace tilework at the mantle.

John Bridge
07-17-2001, 04:26 PM
Hi Nathan,

Go with the metal trim. Find it at a tile supply store. It'll stand up to the traffic better than the oh-gee.