Painting over ceramic tiles [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Painting over ceramic tiles

mojowhit
07-16-2001, 09:20 AM
I have a bathroom that has a pink ceramic tile with white grout that I would like to paint another color. The only thing is I don't know how to do it. What kind of paint to use or anything. Please Help!!!!

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
07-16-2001, 02:24 PM
Okay, here's the deal on painting over ceramic tile. It probably won't work. It certainly won't last in a shower area.

We do have a guy who hangs around here sometimes by the name of Sonnie Layne. Sonnie is a painter/tile setter/remodeler/designer/wine taster/poet/chef. I think he knows more about paint than the rest of us.

If he doesn't show up here soon to help you out, you can go to his site up in Dallas. Problem is he may not show up there either.

Where are you Sonnie? Oh Sonnie. . . .

Here's his site: http://www.sonnielayne.com Find the discussion board near the bottom of the front page, right after the poem.

And check back here. Somebody else might have an idea.

Bud Cline
07-16-2001, 03:13 PM
mojo,

There are many companies around the country that coat (paint) ceramic tile. This is a highly specialized product (epoxies) and requires expensive equipment and breathing aparatus. This is not a do it yourself project.

The only name that comes to mind right now is "Surface Doctor" but there are many others.

Two more names just hit me; Suface Solutions and Worlwide. These are franchises around the U.S. but whether or not there is one of these names in your area I don't know.