fiberglass mesh tape for cbu..help? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : fiberglass mesh tape for cbu..help?

webmastercts
02-05-2005, 11:53 AM
The other day I taped and mudded my corners and seams in my shower with fiberglass mesh tape found in the drywall section of Lowe's.

Today, I happened to be in another Lowe's and found USG Tile Backer Tape (Appears to be fiberglass mesh tape as well but label says: Anti-Corrosive Coating, For use with Durock...which I have) and am now in a dilemna and a crossroads.

Should I retape over the existing fiberglass mesh tape and thinset with this new "USG Tile Backer Tape" even though my fiberglass mesh tape is already up and dried?

Thanks.

colin

Sponsored Links

Davy
02-05-2005, 12:05 PM
Hi Colin, welcome. :)

I would leave it since the thinset is already dry. I wouldn't put up a second layer, it'll make a speed bump. :)

stefan
02-05-2005, 12:06 PM
I use schlueter kerdi 5" in my corners (waterproofing), but
dont worry you are ok with the regular meshtape :)

webmastercts
02-05-2005, 12:06 PM
thanks Davy and Stefan.... honestly... I was hoping for that answer since they both seem like the same core product aka fiberglass mesh tape... I guess the caulk that goes in the floor/corner seams during the "grout time" later on with be the real protection.... the mesh must be just for strength.

Davy
02-05-2005, 12:21 PM
Yes, the tape ties the pieces of CBU together, reduces the chance of cracked tiles over the CBU joints. :)

flatjay
02-05-2005, 03:11 PM
is there a advantage to one or the other, mesh tape vs the kerdi. The mesh tape is for strength and the kerdi is for waterproofing? does the kerdi also provide strength? or can you use both?

Dave the Tile Guy
02-05-2005, 03:24 PM
Just to clarify for newbies or DIY'ers. The silicone caulking used in the corners on your shower floor is NOT for any waterproofing. Water seeps and soaks through grout and will constantly sit at the bottom of your mud floor. Thats why its so important to have a rubber liner under your mud. (or a 100% waterproofing like Kerdi) The silicone is merely put there to keep the grout from cracking...its cosmetic only. With my own mud floor shower , my wall tiles are cut precisely to sit on top of the mosaic..and I rake out the grout when washing and dont even bother with siliconing. Silicone is a magnet for dirt. my floor looks brand new with no grout to crack and no silicone to get dirty or collect mildew.

VT1100
07-08-2007, 08:09 PM
Great site, lot's of information.
Please give me a yes or no on using fiberglass drywall tape or USG Tile Backer Tape on Hardiboard. I have around 430 sq ft of area. The USG tape is more costly for sure. I am using MAPEI Ultraflex 2 thinset. I have not started the project so whatever is good for the job will be OK.
Thanks for this answer and all the other information I have received from the site.

Mike2
07-08-2007, 08:19 PM
Fiberglass drywall tape - :shake: No
USG Tile Backer Tape - :nod: Yes

Recommend you tape the joints at the same time the tiles are set. That way you will avoid the risk of leaving rough harden thin-set (a.k.a. speed bumps) preventing the tiles from laying flat.

cx
07-08-2007, 08:40 PM
The difference is that the CBU mesh tape is alkali-resistant and the drywall tape is not. Portland cement and water is a very alkaline mix (in the neighborhood of 13 on the pH scale) and can deteriorate the fabric of the drywall tape. How fast and how much? I dunno. But we want y'all's showers to last a long, long time, so use the correct mesh tape on the joints. :)

VT1100
07-09-2007, 06:05 AM
Many thanks,
Steve

Dave Taylor
07-09-2007, 07:46 AM
What CX, Mike Mike, Dave and Davy say.... here is a pic of one (USG) brand to use.