Shower Valve on Wall Opposite the Shower Head [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Shower Valve on Wall Opposite the Shower Head

BES
01-20-2005, 09:48 PM
What a great site -- lot's of great advice. I'm planning a future shower and want to know any thoughts on locating the shower valve on the wall opposite the shower head. The valve would be more accessible from outside the shower (and we wouldn't get wet when we turn it on!). My question is whether the extra distance from the valve to the shower head will cause a problem (i.e. will there be a significant delay from a temperature adjustment at the valve to the showerhead?). Does anyone have experience/advice on this? Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links

doitright
01-20-2005, 10:05 PM
Hi BES, Welcome! :)

You can remotely locate your valve. Have you considered using a rainhead from the ceiling?

reglilly
01-20-2005, 10:28 PM
BES

I was considering something like this myself; one thing to consider is that if you place the control away from the water, it will make it difficult to adjust the water to the right temperature without having to guess (or go back and forth).

Reg

doitright
01-20-2005, 10:33 PM
Hi Reg :)

A quality thermostatic valve takes the guesswork out of the temp. Once you know where you like it, you turn it there and leave it. I agree that you don't want it too far from the showering area.

Westie
01-20-2005, 10:35 PM
I've got my control on the opposite side of the shower from the spray head for the reason you point out. We have a large L shaped shower and it is easy to turn on the shower without standing under the spray. There is a very short time lag between the adjustment at the control and the water temperature changing. The delay is less than a second or so. I would mount it in the same place if I were to do it again.

cx
01-20-2005, 11:34 PM
I do nearly all mine that way, Bes. Not necessarily on the opposite wall, but in a location such that it can be turned on without entering the shower area and is still within reasonable reach. It always amazes me that my customers are so surprised that they can have the plumbing in the shower any damn place they want it. :)

But some still want it the old-fashioned way. That amazes me, too. :D

My opinion; worth price charged.

teneicm
01-21-2005, 08:35 AM
Another option is to have separate volume and thermastatic controls. In our shower we have the volume control (flow diverter) valve near the entrance to the shower and the temperature contol valve located in the traditional spot under the shower head.