Grout lines and layout. [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Grout lines and layout.

Jamie
07-13-2001, 09:12 AM
I am starting in to a tile project tomorrow (first timer)and am wondering about the size of grout lines. I am using tile spacers that are 3/16 of an inch. Should my grout lines be larger than this? I am using a tile that is approximately 13" square.

Also, I am having difficulty with layout lines. The entry way has closets and a corner into a hallway. I don't seem to have any choice but to have smaller cut tile pieces in some areas. Is it necessary to have cut tiles that are roughly half the original?

Did I bite off more than I can chew with this one?

Jamie

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
07-13-2001, 06:35 PM
Hi Jamie,

I don't think you've bitten off more than you can chew. I do think you should take your time. Don't get in a rush.

It's nice to have the cuts balanced from side to side in an entry, but that's not always possible. What you should do is try not to have any cuts that are unsightly. And if you have to make cuts that are smaller than a half tile, do them very neatly, and they'll look good.

3/16 in. is a very nice joint for 13 in. tiles.

Don't you want to tell us what the subfloor is made of?

Jamie
07-16-2001, 07:33 AM
Thanks for the advice John. I have finished the entry way. It really looks great! It is on concrete(grade level basement entry). I did have to make quite a few cuts, however the less neat ones are in a closet.
I have grouted one section of the tiles and am wondering about removal of the grout haze. Should I buy a special product for removal of this or will plain water work?

Jamie

Rob Z
07-16-2001, 08:22 AM
Jamie

Good job on the tile so far. Since time has elapsed since you grouted, the haze isn't going to come off with water. Some of the guys here on the forum use plain white vinegar to clean up grout haze. I use grout haze remover from Aqua Mix. There are many other companies that make grout haze products.

Be sure to follow the directions for whichever product you buy. Wear the recommended safety gear (gloves, eye protection, etc) and use the weakest product you can to get the job done.

The stronger acids like sulphamic acid should only be used if the weaker products don't get your haze off. The container of sulphamic acid that I have requires waiting 10 days before applying, in order to let the grout more fully cure.

Clean up with lots of water and use a shop vac to suck up the liquids.