Toilet Flange install question on new tile floor [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Toilet Flange install question on new tile floor

TilerMike
01-12-2005, 07:37 PM
My 5X10 bathroom floor consists of 3/4 plywood subfloor, 1/4 hardi backer screwed down to a bed of thinset and then thinset and porcelain 12x12 tiles. I cutout the subflloor and hardibacker for the toilet drain pipe and tiled all the way up to where the flange will sit. My toilet flange will be screwed thru the hardibacker into the 3/4 plywood below with stainless screws. Will this be acceptable. The flange will be just above the surface of the tile once secured.

Sponsored Links

John Corley
01-12-2005, 07:39 PM
I'm no plumber, but seems like it should work.

Make sure you use 2 wax rings. :)

Jason_Butler
01-12-2005, 07:40 PM
Should be fine. If a standard wax ring does not give you a good seal, go with the jumbo wax ring. I use the thicker rings on most of my projects

Jason

TilerMike
01-12-2005, 07:42 PM
should I have cut the hardibacker out more so the flange sits directly on the plywood or does that really matter??

jdm
01-12-2005, 07:42 PM
Acceptable yes, ideal, no. Lonny should be along with speech #382.

Jason_Butler
01-12-2005, 07:49 PM
The ideal case would have the flange sitting on the finished floor ( tile in this case. Most of the homes here are on a slab and I'm not about to move the flange up on those.

You'll be fine

Jason

rich7
01-12-2005, 07:50 PM
The bottom of your flange should sit on the top of the finished floor..this is th ideal situation..in other words, you could have brought your tile in a bit closer to the drain pipe and the flange would have rested on the tile..but I think our resident plumber will ok your install....

rich

rich7
01-12-2005, 07:51 PM
Jason was 6.2 milliseconds faster then I was..:)

rich

Jason_Butler
01-12-2005, 08:05 PM
Hey Rich, at least we agreed... :)

rich7
01-12-2005, 08:07 PM
Yep..great minds and how does the rest of that go??:D..'course Lonny will probably be lookin' to kick both our butts..:D

rich

LonnythePlumber
01-12-2005, 11:15 PM
Jeff has forseen my frequently stated position. Flanges below the floor are acceptable but on top of the floor is best. When I pull toilets I see where the water has run under the tile and has loosened them when the tile only butts up to the flange. Tilers are not usually there until they need to come fix the floor and I have the flange off by then. Double waxes tend to blow out after five years or so. I believe a tile floor should last 20 years or more.
It would be better in this case to install a flange extender on the hardibacker and the flange on top of it, to at least eliminate the height shortage. Silicone the butt joint where the tile meets the flange.
I will not set the flange in a case like this. I probably would if I didn't have so much work but since I do, I'm just another cocky plumber. I would have the tile recut to go to the edge of the hole.

TilerMike
01-13-2005, 05:14 AM
The top of my flange will be slightly above the top of the tile. How far above the tile should it be? I will be installing a Kohler Memoirs Toilet?

Do you just place the extender under the flange or do you bond it somehow to the flange??

I will do better in the hall bath :)

bbcamp
01-13-2005, 05:37 AM
Ok, as long as you've promised to do better the next time! :D

Get a flange extender that is 1/4" to 3/8" thick and use 100% silicone caulk to bond it to the top of your closet flange.

TilerMike
01-13-2005, 06:24 AM
The extender goes under or on top of the flange???

John Bridge
01-13-2005, 06:30 AM
Mike,

The extension goes on top, but you could cement in scraps of tile around the hole and then install your flange. Just leave small voids where the screws will go through. :)

TilerMike
01-13-2005, 06:36 AM
How far above my tile should the flange/extender be???

jdm
01-13-2005, 08:59 AM
The bottom of the flange should be on the top surface of the finished floor. Screwed down. A flang externder should come up to just about the same distance above the finished floor.

LonnythePlumber
01-13-2005, 10:05 AM
Flange extenders are made to go on top as Injuneer Bob and John B. have explained. In this particular instance you could put something underneath the flange where the tile should go and the flange would go on top without the extender. As John B. explains you could use tile for this. I meant to refer to using the extender underneath for this which would be using the extender not as an extender but as a support. If you are even an 1/8" above the finished floor that should be adequate.