Does this price sound fair to tile a bath surround? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Does this price sound fair to tile a bath surround?

ESM
01-12-2005, 05:20 PM
I went into Pino Tile, a local tile store (chain type store, see www.pinotile.com) and asked them for the price to tile my bath surround. It's a standard 3 wall surround with a window in the middle. See below for reference photo. Total square footage is 57sq ft for actual CBU that needs tile.

Their price came to roughly $570 labor and $430 supplies. So about $1000 even. This was based on my measurements and drawing/pictures. They still have to come out and do their own measurements and visualize the job. But he said it shouldn't be more then $1100 for all of it.

This is with a basic 6" or 8" white tile. The type of stuff I can go buy at HD. I forget exactly how much the 6" tiles at HD cost, but I though I had once figured it out that 60 sq ft would cost me $120 or so, with the bull nose pieces.

For comparison, I called a handyman who does tile work and he said about $1000 just for labor. I only have the name of one local tile setter, but havn't been able to get a hold of them to get a price.

For this type of job, what is a fair price for labor, and what kind I costs for tile, thinset, and grout would be fair prices to pay?

http://images.slipoftime.com/house/finished_wall-pre_tile1.jpg

Sponsored Links

coleywrx
01-12-2005, 05:28 PM
That seems like a lot of money based on your desciption of the materials and the picture of your job.

Davestone
01-12-2005, 05:37 PM
Pino tile here is the joke of the industry and regularly advertise they are the home of the .99 cent tile installation, and i have come behind them a dozen times to rip out their work,trust me don't use them, almost anyone else will do a better job. I redid a job where the guys did a diagonal and didn't know how to measure a diagonal cut. they were literally an inch away from the wall on one side of a 12" tile. The price sounds about 33% high even for this area.Why don't you read around this site and do it yourself and we'll all help you? :)

ESM
01-12-2005, 05:40 PM
Pino tile here is the joke of the industry and regularly advertise they are the home of the .99 cent tile installation, and i have come behind them a dozen times to rip out their work,trust me don't use them, almost anyone else will do a better job. I redid a job where the guys did a diagonal and didn't know how to measure a diagonal cut. they were literally an inch away from the wall on one side of a 12" tile. The price sounds about 33% high even for this area.Why don't you read around this site and do it yourself and we'll all help you? :)

Funny you mention 33%. They originally told me about $700. Which was $500'ish labor, $200'ish materials. When I went in with MORE accurate measurements, I got this price. I think the guy read some of my #'s wrong honestly. Anyway, it was a reference for some pricing. I don't know of many local tile setters.

I'm tempted to DIY. If I use standard 6" white stock from HD, I think I can get all the materials for $300'ish, and then rent or borrow a tile saw from someone. Problem I have is I've never tiled before, I need to make sure it's done properly, and I need it done by February. I can't risk running into some kind of funny road blocks or something like that.

jay f
01-12-2005, 06:39 PM
I"m not sure of your location, but in my area that's really steep. In fact, I'm on one now, about the same size, through a retailer, $650, with me installing the 'rock and the tear-out, but no window.

jdm
01-12-2005, 06:45 PM
You probably can just use a score-and-snap cutter on that tile.

If a couple have "L" shapes or other complex cuts, mark them and have Home Despot cut 'em for you.

Jason_Butler
01-12-2005, 07:48 PM
The labor doesn't sound that bad but the materials are way high. 60 sq ft of a really good porcelian tile should be no more than $150. Add a few bags of Versabond thinset @ 12 ea and a bag of grout @ 10 bucks and you are still under $200.

Then again, I'm in Texas.

Jason

Davestone
01-12-2005, 07:56 PM
You can get a tile installation book for twenty bucks, they sell them at the top of this page, and the guy that wrote it ain't a half bad mechanic, and ya got all the brains in the biz right here at your disposal. Then you know it's a topnotch job. A tub with small tile is the easiest tile job there is, the newbies always start with them in the tile trade.Twenty for the book, twenty for thinset ten for grout twenty five for caulk and waterproofing for the window and one fifty for on sale tile. :)

ESM
01-12-2005, 08:18 PM
I think if I don't find a price I like by Saturday I'm going to go buy supplies and start doing work myself.

If a pro was doing this job, how many hours you think to get all the tile up? I figure I can take that number of hours and double it if I was doing it for the first time :/

heinlein79
01-12-2005, 08:54 PM
I think $650 is a fair price... that is what I would also normally charge on a job such as this. That price would include all materials except tile and grout of course. What area are you in? I'm in Arizona, so I am a bit curious to see how my prices are in comparison.

ESM
01-12-2005, 09:07 PM
I think $650 is a fair price... that is what I would also normally charge on a job such as this. That price would include all materials except tile and grout of course. What area are you in? I'm in Arizona, so I am a bit curious to see how my prices are in comparison.

Central, FL .. Orlando area (NOT by Disney however. 40 miles east of that area). $650 except for grout/tile is higher then the labor rate of $570 they were charging. Their materials price is what seems to be ridiculously high.

I'll report back what a professional tile setter says it would probably cost.

Hamilton
01-12-2005, 09:50 PM
is it just me or does that recessed niche look really out of plumb?

LGB
01-12-2005, 09:50 PM
The labor rate is not out of line. You have to figure that you will be tying up a man for 2 days. It shouldn't take that long but you need to anticipate the unexpected. As far as the tile goes, a basic 6x6 wall tile would be about $2 a sf plus trim pieces at a buck a piece. 70 sf of tile would be $140 plus 80 +- pieces of bullnose comes to $220 plus $50 for setting materials and any waterproffing needed around the window. If you add in anything for soap dishes or other accessories (towel bars or corner shelves) it's really not that far out of the ball park.

A few questions for you. How are you intending to finish off that outside corner? Is it going to get a corner bead and spackled or are you wrapping it with tile? Also, is the window as far out of plumb as it appears in the picture?

Hamilton
01-12-2005, 09:52 PM
oh its a window lol kinna hard on my eyes this pc is. it looks crooked to
me.

RandyL
01-12-2005, 10:03 PM
Hey Jack,
Bahhahahahaaha.....................
I thought it was a window aswell at first, and I'm half your age......................................I'm 31.......BAAAAhahahahaaaaaaaa......... :yipee: :crazy: :)

ESM
01-13-2005, 07:26 AM
The window is plumb, the camera was titled when I took the picture!

I'm not doing any soap dishes or shower bars or anything. Jsut straight tile, nothing fancy.

The 2 outside corners on the side walls are somwhat of an "issue". The left corner is 1" thick. I think it is feasable to cut 1" wide slices of tile and use standard bullnose for the left side to make a properly finished corner.

The right side is only 1/2" thick, so the above method isn't going to work I'm sure. So I'd need some bullnose with wrap around or some kind of corner piece that gets trimmed down. I think that will work properly. The key is I have to find tile that comes with both kinds of bullnose tiles and/or corner pieces.

If I Can't find that in a basic white, inexpensive tile, then for the right side, I was thinking it could just be standard bullnose and then caulk the 1/2" gap with some white caulk. I'm not sure how well that is going to look with a 1/2" thick wide bead of caulk however. So hopefully I can find tile that comes with all the pieces I'd need.

ESM
01-13-2005, 01:05 PM
Ok, got in touch with a tile setter who is local. For my standard 6' tub surround with window, he said labor to install tile is going to cost me $300. This assumes all my cement board is square and flat and he doesn't have to take it down to shim it. He provides the thinset, I provide grout/tile.

Then I told him I wanted basic 6x6 tile, white, nothing fancy. He said he can give me a done deal, all materials, for about $400 as he can get that basic tile really cheap.

Even if it costs me $500 with everything, that's still pretty darn good price. Too good for me to toss up infact. One of the guys is going come out this weekend hopefully to check it out and give me a firm price.

Hopefully they give the nod to cement board work :/

texski
03-30-2005, 05:53 AM
Beware of the lowest price...I have seen people go for the cheaper price many times as I am tearing off the cheaper mans work and starting from scratch....Check out his past work before proceeding, which I am sure you will

Shaughnn
03-30-2005, 06:54 AM
Don't forget to factor into your DIY price the added bonus of being able to buy a whole set of new tools. The only spots where I see a saw being needed are at the window, along the legs down the front of the tubface, and for trim in the top of the coners. Everything else can be cut with a hand-cutter or bit out with tile nippers.
If all the preps been done already, I think I could roll in and grout it by the end of the day. But as a novice, you can take as long as you please. Just remember to give yourself a stopping point that will be easy to start up from. Straight lines are best for this. If I were breaking this down into a multi-night project, I see the following as a reasonable schedule:
Back wall, up to one tile beneath the window.
Back wall, window and trim at top.
Valve wall, to at least above the valve, with trim down to the floor
Valve wall and rear wall with top trim and trim to the floor.
Soap dish placement is generally mid-tub in the second or third course of tile. A Standard soapdish has a back lug that is exactly the size of a 4 1/4" tile. Set the tile, along with the rest, glazed side facing the thinset. Remove the turned-around tile before you go to bed that night and scrape out the thinset in the cavity. Set the soapdish after everything else has been set to avoid dropping things on it or knocking into it while you are working.
Grout and caulk
Best of luck,
Shaughnn

tilemonster
03-30-2005, 07:24 AM
Ok, got in touch with a tile setter who is local. For my standard 6' tub surround with window, he said labor to install tile is going to cost me $300. This assumes all my cement board is square and flat and he doesn't have to take it down to shim it. He provides the thinset, I provide grout/tile.

Then I told him I wanted basic 6x6 tile, white, nothing fancy. He said he can give me a done deal, all materials, for about $400 as he can get that basic tile really cheap.

Even if it costs me $500 with everything, that's still pretty darn good price. Too good for me to toss up infact. One of the guys is going come out this weekend hopefully to check it out and give me a firm price.

Hopefully they give the nod to cement board work :/

ESM,
It sounds a bit too cheap to me and Im a tile setter in your area .
The going rate for a good tile setter in this area for that job would be $750-$800 labor only.I suggest you purchase all the materials for the tile setter (except thinset) ahead of timevand therefore you get the best price on the materials with no additional mark-up added .
Remember,
There's nothing more expensive than a cheap tile job.
Good Luck.