Saltillo on elevated - exposed deck [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Saltillo on elevated - exposed deck

LDavis
05-08-2001, 06:17 PM
I've been asked to submit a bid on an exterior Saltillo installation. The installation will be on a 8'x 20' pier & beam deck elevated 10' above the ground. (second story patio deck with 4x4 corner posts and 2x6 joists 16" oc) The deck boards (2x4 with 1/4" space between) have been covered with exterior grade 3/4" plywood. The plan is to add 1/4" CBU to the existing deck and then install the Saltillo. The
deck is uncovered and exposed to the elements.

I'm not "thrilled" with the project anyway, but the Saltillo is my primary concern. I know Saltillo is not "frost-proof". The installation is in a suburb of San Antonio. While freeze-thaw cycles are not a major concern here, we do occasionally freeze. With the installation elevated and exposed on all sides, I'm not particularly confident about the long-term prospects of this project. Any thoughts on this one???

By the way, bought your book last summer. An informative and enjoyable read. Thanks.

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
05-08-2001, 07:02 PM
Hi L. Davis,

You don't have to, of course, but give us your first name, will ya?

You are apparently not worried about water dripping through your installation to whatever is under it. If you are, you'll have to figure some way to waterproof the substrate, either a membrane on top the CBU (cement backer board) or a system such as Schluter Ditra. Or, of course, the old fashioned mud method over a hot mop.

Your concern about freezing is a good one. San Antonio freezes about as often as it does here in Houston, which isn't often. When it does freeze, though, it usually does a pretty good job of it. With the installation flopping in the breeze, so to speak, it won't take it long to reach the prevailing outside temp.

I've never done a job like that. The idea makes me nervous. I certainly wouldn't guarantee it. The only ones I've done have been over heated spaces.

Maybe we can get a Canadian or two to contribute here. They are certainly more experienced with the freeze/thaw thing than we Sun Belt boys are.

By the way, I did a little job up at Canyon Lake a few years ago. Nice country. You've got all the rocks we beg for here in Houston.

John Bridge
05-08-2001, 07:06 PM
Forgot to thank you for buying the book. Thanks. My wife has already spent the royalty check. Gonna have to sell more books or get a new wife. Which do you think it will be? :-)

Bri
05-08-2001, 07:25 PM
Saltillo outside in freezing temperatures is something I would be very worried about...it doesn't take much to blow the top off of that stuff..but if you don't have a choice(like switching to a frost proof lookalike) I would make sure any water that gets on that deck is drained away immediatly. You might try schluters Troba drainage membrane..it lets any water that soaks into the tile, go right through to the membrane and away fron the tile. You can see it on their site http://www.schluter.com.

LDavis
05-08-2001, 08:29 PM
John, thanks for the rapid feedback. First name is Latney. (not a mis-print) I've never done anything like this either and am seriously considering "passing" on this one. (The home owner just happens to be a lawyer too, no kidding)
It's interesting you should mention the water-proofing precautions. I was contacted about this job via a local builder/remodeler that is doing additional work at this location. When I ask him what type of water-proofing he would like included in the bid, he said "sealing the tile and grout after the installation should be adequate"
See what I'm up against?
Anyway, I think I'll re-read your book again and concentrate on improving my "standing around technique" and try to find a way to make some money doing just that.
(My kids seem to have mastered the technique) If you ever need any rocks, bring a truck. Bring a BIG truck. You can have all you can carry.

Sonnie Layne
05-08-2001, 09:29 PM
RUN RUN RUN-AWAY,
oops, got it mixed up with a 60's beach boys song...
at any rate dealing with GC like that leaves me sleepless in Dallas. And I'm a GC!!!!
My stomach and my girl don't like to see me worry.
Don't worry about it, don't ask any more questions (except for entertainment and education purposes) just walk away, Renee'....yadaah yadaah yadaah

Latney, it sounds real spooky to me. I'd bid it about 200% high and draw up an amended contract. Sure enough the temps will drop next winter, the frost-man will bite hard and there'll be snakes in the crawl space. I've got a bad feeling about it and I'm not even concerned (legally) in the matter. Just in tune... with the Beach Boys, hahahahaha. Oh well, everything only lasts for a moment, eh?

And no, haven't had my first martini of the evening. Too tired to even mix it....

All my best,
Sonnie
http://www.sonnielayne.com

flatfloor
05-09-2001, 03:00 PM
Sounds scary to me too, I think I also would pass.

But, just for the hell of it, let me throw an idea up, how about radiant heat under the tile hooked up to an outdoor temperature sensor, auto turn on/off.

Then have an atorney draw up a document with every waiver he and you can think up, including a Tailight Warranty, add up ALL expenses and mark up 200%.:)
JB

Actually it might work! http://www.heatizon.com/

[Edited by flatfloor on 05-09-2001 at 05:07 PM]

John Bridge
05-09-2001, 04:00 PM
Hey Jim,

Sounds like you've been watching too many re-runs of "Home Improvement." Tim Taylor might come up with something like that. I agree, though. It WILL work.

Latney,

I think we can safely call the results of the poll.

For: nobody
Against: everybody

Kick your lunch pail a little further down the road and see what turns up :-)

And Sonnie,

I knew you hadn't had a drink. You only act that way when you're sober :-)

flatfloor
05-09-2001, 06:17 PM
Who's Tim Taylor?

John Bridge
05-09-2001, 06:20 PM
Isn't that Tim Allen's character name on Home Improvement? Or am I farther gone than I thought I was? Wait a minute -- don't answer that last question.

flatfloor
05-09-2001, 06:41 PM
John your OK, I just don't watch Home Improv Shows. I put a filter on the cable line so they can't get into the house where my wife might be infected by them. My plumber, carpenter, electrician, etc and I all have an agrrement "to each his own"

John Bridge
05-09-2001, 08:26 PM
You're tellin' me you don't even watch Bob Vila? C'mon, how can you possibly know anything about construction or remodeling in this country (or the world, for that matter) is you don't pay attention to the gurus?

Besides that, Home Improvement was only a spoof. You're off the hook.

The only guy I pay tribute to is my auto mechanic. I throw down palm fronds in front of that guy.

Well, I guess I'd better include my brother-in-law/techie Dave B. Love ya Dave, but I used up all my fronds on my mechanic. . .

LDavis
05-10-2001, 05:40 AM
I appreciate all the feedback. I'll be walking away from this one!

flatfloor
05-10-2001, 06:20 PM
Who's Bob Vanilla?

Sonnie Layne
05-10-2001, 07:06 PM
Uhhh, think he's a well known celeb on infomercials selling kitchenware...