Hardibacker vs Durock / wonderboard [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Hardibacker vs Durock / wonderboard

Steve K .
12-08-2004, 04:51 PM
Hi all, was wondering about using hardibacker for a custom shower on the walls vs Durock / Wonderboard for the ease in cutting but I haven't used it except on floors and didn't know if the 1/2" hardiboard can be installed directly to the wall studs or is a backer of somesort required. Maybe it is my imagination but it seems like Durock is a bit more rigid and may give a stiffer / stronger wall than Hardibacker. No studs are spaced further than 16"oc. Does anyone have any thoughts. Thanks in advance
Cheers, Steve K

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
12-08-2004, 04:54 PM
Hi Steve, Welcome aboard. :)

It's a matter of preference. Hardi is really stiff and straight, though. :)

rob 223
12-08-2004, 05:12 PM
Wonderboard and durock are not the same at all, durock is a little floppy wonderboard is rigid, and utilicrete is also very rigid. I would use one of the two on walls rather than durock.

MM
12-09-2004, 01:38 PM
I am using 1/2 hardibacker in my shower rebuild. Its a lot lighter and easyer to cut.

John Bridge
12-09-2004, 07:37 PM
Hey MM, Welcome aboard. :)

Give us a first name, please. :)

Unregistered
12-09-2004, 08:54 PM
thanks everyone for the responces - mighty righteous. Hardibacker 500 is what we're using, very good workability I think I might make this the first tile backer choice instead of the other cement boards from here out

M.P.TILE
12-11-2004, 08:18 PM
Steve Wonderboard Is The Right Way .it's Easy To Work With .yes It's Heavy ,but It Is A Very Solid Base For Tile.we Have Alway Put Blocking At All Seams .fiberglass Tape Joints.if Mud Cap Is To Be Used I Use 1/2 " And 1/4" --5/16.if You Use Wonderboard Us The Cementboard Screws ,its Worth The $'s.try The Difference.phil

tilerite
12-11-2004, 08:40 PM
For what it's worth, my backerboard of choice for floors is Hardibacker, but walls are a different story. I find Hardibacker to be fine for 4x4's, but for larger tiles, I prefer Durock. I feel like I get a better bond with Durock on my walls, with less slipage. Wonderboard in an excellent product too, but Durock has tapered seams for taping.

bhowe
01-10-2005, 09:14 AM
Between Hardi and Wonder, Which one cuts easier? Do you score them like drywall and snap? Do you need a tungsten blade, or will a utility knife work?
Thanks,
Bill

bhowe
01-18-2005, 08:49 AM
Hey, I answered my own question. I bought a sheet of each. The Hardi cuts and works much easier. The screw can be screwed in flush with no problems.
FYI,
Bill

HomeyHal
01-18-2005, 05:59 PM
I'm a newbie and I am using Hardibacker 500 for my bathroom remodel and like the way it cuts and trims, but have noticed this about using screws: just because the screwhead looks flush, as often as not the thread of the screw in the hardibacker doesn't spin freely in the board, and as a result, the sheet is held about 1/8" away from the studs. I beat it with a block of wood between it and my hammer and then tighten the screws some more. Repeat. The screw package claims no predrilling required, but I think that it would sure help a lot.