Thin Set on a riser. [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Thin Set on a riser.

Tile Rookie
07-06-2001, 09:43 AM
He's back! Hey guys just wanted to keep you updated on the project. 15 inch porcelain tiles in a kit. breakfast area and hall. It looks really good! I had to do more concrete work on the step down then I expected. Very rough and was not straight or level, go figure. But the tile is down, and all I need to do is grout, my real job keeps getting in the way of my tile work! I hate it when that happens. On to the question. We have a step down into a family room and I want to tile the step down. I plan on using the thin set on the riser of the step. I'm setting 2 inch decorative tiles that match the 15 inch ones. They have the paper backing on them. They come in 12x12 inch sheets that I want to split and use two rows of the tiles on the riser. Will the thin set hold them? Also the spacing between the tiles is very small, some are touching. How do I grout these things? I put them down in the floor as a decorative boarder and now I'm going nuts trying to figure out how to grout them! Hindsite tells me I should have cut the paper and placed each 2 inch tile by hand with the right spacing, but it's to late for that. Any ideas on how to handle something like this? Thanks everybody!

M.F.

Sponsored Links

kalford
07-06-2001, 10:12 AM
Good to hear from you.I'm glad it's going well.

Yes you should have cut the backing and spread the tiles.
Mix your grout THIN so that it is runny.Let it run into the joints,set for a while then grout again with a little stiffer mix.When you mix it thin it will shrink and that's why you need to grout it again with a stiffer mix.I have even spread DRY grout over the area and rubbed it in to fill and stiffen the joint.Clean as usual.

Yes the thinset will hold although you may find it necessary to use spacers or pieces of tile to hold it up till it gets a good set.Spread the tiles this time.It'll save you some work.Mosaic sheets are notorious for uneven joints and misaligned tiles.

Bud Cline
07-06-2001, 10:50 AM
If you spread the tiles this time....they won't match what you have already done. You may want to leave them and go for it. I wouldn't anticipate any problems with the narrow grout lines, it can be done. Your almost home now.

John Bridge
07-06-2001, 04:15 PM
Hey Rookie,

Is the riser concrete or wood?

Tile Rookie
07-06-2001, 04:22 PM
Hey John

Oops, It's concrete.

kalford
07-06-2001, 04:34 PM
I'm glad you said concrete.I would have had to do a bunch more one finger assaults on this poor keyboard.LOL

John Bridge
07-06-2001, 04:36 PM
No problemo. Paste 'em on there. I agree with Bud. Don't start changing the spacing this late in the game. Go over it like Keith said. You can always go over it again.

John