Hello everyone! [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone!

garytmib
11-25-2004, 07:59 AM
My name is Gary. I am currently reading tile your world and i am excited about my first tiling job. Since i am a newbie i would like to tell you a bit about myself. I am currently employed as a field machinist and have worked in this trade for 20 years. I will be layed off on Dec. 16th. Since i saw this coming i started a home maintenance and repair business in may. My business has been a big success and i believe it will support my family full time when i am laid off. I work alone and my focus has been small jobs that larger contractors have no interest in. I hope to add small tile jobs to my list of services. I will begin in my home with two small bath floors and a kitchen back splash. My biggest concern right now is tooling. Since i will not be doing tile full time i am not sure how much i should invest and what brands will serve me well. I am not afraid to spend the money. I just don't want to buy more than i need. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Gary :)

Sponsored Links

tileguytodd
11-25-2004, 08:25 AM
Gary, welcome aboard. I'm going to move you over to the Pro's Hangout where you will get a host of teachers to help you on your way.
Oh, and if i never have to do another backsplash remodel in my life it wouldnt bother me in the least ;)

tileguytodd
11-25-2004, 08:36 AM
Tile Tool Starter Kit for semi pro
Felker FTS-150 tilesaw
Rubi TS-30 tile cutter
4" side grinder and 4" diamond blade
Circular saw with 24 tooth carbide for CBU
Carbide tipped nipper
Trowels in 3/16" x 3/16" sq,1/4" V, 1/4" x 1/4" sq, 1/4" x 3/8" sq
Margin Trowel + various finish trowels
1/2" Variable speed Drill (Milwaukee)with cage or eggbeater mixer
3/8" hammer drill(milwaukee)
chalklines (2 colors)
Levels - Bullet,18" 30" 48" and 72"
Various handtools and chisels

Straightedge Screeds 1 set
Diamond drill bits.
Buckets in 2 gal 3.5 gal and 5 gal.
Tile Sponges i/2 dozen
Good Quality Caulk gun
Shop Vac(craftsman's still the best)
Broom
Foxtail tilers broom
Tile Dolly
Bucket Dolly
Garden Hose(good quality 50' with good nozzle)
There ya go, all the essentials to get you started :)

Now, if your going to do Mudwork,we'll be adding some items ;)

Rd Tile
11-25-2004, 08:52 AM
Diamond hole saw bits, rotozip for hole cutting in cementboard, knee pads, and oh yeah, a boombox.:):)

Don't forget a reliable van or pickup with cap. :D

flatfloor
11-25-2004, 12:22 PM
Welcome Gary, where are you located? :)

Davestone
11-25-2004, 12:46 PM
Yep,and maybe framing, and speed squares,and John's book. :bow:

garytmib
11-25-2004, 01:58 PM
Hey Todd, Tileman, Jim, and Dave. Thanks for the info on tooling up. I am located just south of Richmond, Va.

Gary

Rd Tile
11-25-2004, 03:28 PM
http://www.tile-stonetools.com/

http://www.karldahm.com/cgi-bin/cosmoshop/lshop.cgi?action=shopstart&wkid=1101417850-28506&ls=e

flatfloor
11-25-2004, 06:53 PM
Don't forget to look in our store. :)