Tub -> Shower stall conversion [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tub -> Shower stall conversion

Large Father
07-05-2001, 11:40 PM
I have a concrete slab foundation and I need help to figure out how best to remodel my bathroom. I would like to remove the tub (60x30) and replace it with a shower stall. Problem is that the toliet is next to, and shares a fixture wall with the tub. I'll try to sketch it out below:

|
|-|___
| |___)
|-|

Do I have to get a plumber to relocate either the shower or toilet drain? Is there any other way to convert the tub in this arrangement? BTW, tub wall opposite the toilet is the brick outside wall so I can't go out that way.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links

Rob Z
07-06-2001, 07:38 AM
Hello Big Daddy

You can find a shower base (aka shower receptor) that fits in the 60 x 30 space that the tub was in. You would not need to relocate the toilet, but would have to re-rough the drain for the tub. Depending on which brand of base that you buy, there will be a sheet in the box that lists the exact dimensions for the center of the pipe.

You will need to raise the tub/shower valve up to a height more suitable for a shower.

Let us know if this is something you want to attempt. We can talk you through it.

Rob Z (Another large father)

John Bridge
07-06-2001, 04:33 PM
There is one company that makes retrofit shower bases that have the drain on the end where the tub drain is. You pull out the tub and install the base without any additional rough plumbing work.

The company is called "Swan," and you can find them by using a search engine. You can also try asking Terry Love. Terry runs a plumbing advice board in the Seattle area. Don't forget your way back, though.

http://terrylove.com/wwwboard/index.html

Unregistered
01-04-2005, 07:14 PM
Swirl-Way Alto 7514 Shower Base also has a drain at one end. he problem is that both it and the swanrun about $350 for a 32x60 unit.