Thank you already! [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Thank you already!

KarenB
07-05-2001, 08:29 PM
I like you guys!

I've always suspected I could move up from the cheap vinyl world to beautiful tile, and do it on my own...you've convinced me I can!

I'm going to start small...our 5'x3' master potty room. Figure if I mess it up too badly, hardly anyone will see it anyway!

I'll hopefully graduate to the kitchen countertops, backsplash "proud from the wall", and all!!!

I won't ask any questions until I read thru all the threads, though...seems like my questions are pretty basic, and have probably already been addressed.

What sweet, sincere, selfless pros! (Don't get a lot of that in southern california, it seems :)

Thank you already, and have a great day!

Karen

Sponsored Links

Bud Cline
07-05-2001, 08:49 PM
KarenB,

You've already bought the ticket, all we need is a few particulars about your situation and your ride can begin.

You are smart to review the other posts but don't hesitate to design this thread to your personal needs. Tile is not necessarily a "one size fits all" pursuit.

Anytime your ready!!!

Rob Z
07-05-2001, 09:16 PM
Hi Karen

Thanks for stopping by. Flattery will get you everywhere on this forum.

Let us tackle your questions and steer you in the right direction. You may get several directions though, since we sometimes have different methods and approaches to a particular job.

If you can, email John a photo so we can visualize what you are doing.

Rob

KarenB
07-05-2001, 09:34 PM
Thank you for your reply!!

Your down-to-earth, friendly approach makes me comfy asking my "newbie" questions. :) I've been meaning to make it to the 2-hour Saturday morning HD ceramic tile class, but judging from the bored high school employees usually working there, I haven't been convinced I'd get much out of it...

I read Kathy's question and the replies about removing vinyl first being best, but I don't know how. I can see I need to pry the 1/4 round strip of wood lining the baseboard up first, as well as the metal strip on the transition from vinyl to carpet at the doorway, but then what????

The vinyl is particularly flat, and looks new (we've been here a week in our new home, built in 1978. We love it, but it looks like the previous owner was a bit of a Tim Allen type). Could I maybe, maybe get away with stripping off the shine and going for it??

Thank you!!!!!!

Karen

Bud Cline
07-05-2001, 09:42 PM
Nope!

But you could remove the vinyl along with the underlayment. Now this assumes that the vinyl was installed on a new underlayment at the time of installation, it should have been but maybe not.

If the underlayment is there it needs to come out anyway. You can probably tell by removing your transition piece in your doorway. You should see your layer of vinyl and below that a thin layer of another product maybe 1/4 inch plywood.

Check it out!

Rob Z
07-06-2001, 07:46 AM
Hi KAren

If at all possible, get the vinyl and underlayment out. There are tile setting materials that claim to be suitable for use over non cushioned sheet vinyl, but I would rather get down to good underlayment and start from scratch.

One thing to consider is the age of the vinyl. If it is original to the house, it may have asbestos in the vinyl backing or adhesive. I think this occurred up through the mid 1980's. If Tim Allen installed it after that time, then you can tear it out without any concern. And most vinyl comes out fairly easily.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Rob

John Bridge
07-06-2001, 04:22 PM
Okay, Karen. See what you did? You said some nice things, and Geez, everybody forgets you're in California, and maybe your house was built over a concrete slab. In which case, you won't be able to remove any underlayment, because there won't be any. Is the floor wood or concrete?

And is the vinyl a sheet, or is it the 12 in. square tiles?

KarenB
07-06-2001, 04:45 PM
Thank you! :) I know my California brethren haven't exactly made a down-home, warm & friendly impression...but I had the benefit of living in Waco for a couple of years, so I remember how to be civilized (every once in a while! :)

It's a second floor bathroom, so it's wood. But I think my question is even more basic than you think--I guess I don't grab the edge of the vinyl and tug? What should I buy to pull it up? It looks really new (no wear), but a really old style. Do I buy some kind of protective equipment so I don't worry about keeling over in a few months from possible asbestos exposure? (I'd really have a nice bathroom floor, though :)

Thanks,

Karen

KarenB
07-06-2001, 04:46 PM
Oh! I'm sorry--it's sheet.

Rob Z
07-06-2001, 07:38 PM
Karen

Utilicrete cement board can be installed over non cushioned vinyl. Our Forum friend Art "Flattile" is a sales rep for this stuff. He could give you more info except he claims to be spending time with his family back in Michigan.

This is in keeping with Utilicrete's philosophy that the cement board should be mechanically fastened and not bonded to the subfloor. The arguments for and against this are extensive and will delay you from doing your project.

If you really want to avoid pulling the vinyl up, call Fin Pan at 1 800 833 6444 for Utilicrete product info.

Once you have read the info, check back with us for help with installing the cement board (it's pretty easy).

Rob