Flexbond for floor & shower area, what to use? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Flexbond for floor & shower area, what to use?

lruiz
11-10-2004, 02:39 PM
Hey,

I read in the past few treads that pre-mix "Acrylpro" or pre-mix in general is bad for all wet areas. I brought something called "Flexbond" for the floor and "Acrylpro" (in a purple lid pucket) for the shower walls.

Would it be ok if I can use the Flexbond (50 lb bag) for both areas floor and shower walls?

Or...

Should I just stay with the Flexbond for the floor only and get something else for the shower walls?

I've brought the stuff at Home Depot, would I find something else better there?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

COBALT
11-10-2004, 02:53 PM
Flexbond is pretty good stuff. It's a bit expensive for your run-of-the-mill thinset application (VersaBond is more widely used), but it definitely has its uses for areas subject to movement, and over small cracks no bigger than 1/16". I used it to set all of the tile in my bathroom, although I didn't need to. I've also heard it's harder to work with, but I didn't have any problems.

Feel free to use it, or take it back and get some VersaBond. AcrylPro needs to go back to the store.

lruiz
11-10-2004, 03:06 PM
Whew! That's close, I'm glad mistakes happen for a reason. Just as I'm about to layout my plan for the wall tiles. Some of the tiles came in the wrong color. Pushing back myus schedule from tiling. Gugg.

Anyhow I'm glad one mistake was ment to check on another one occurs. That was close.

Any suggestions on grout and sealers from the HD store?

Thanks!

Mike2
11-10-2004, 03:11 PM
Hi again Iruiz.

Here's a thread on Flexbond you might want to read through...a very objective analysis I think. http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=15970&highlight=flexbond

In summary, sure Flexbond will work but I'd exchange it for VersaBond for all the reasons stated in the above thread. VB for floor and walls with no Acrylpro in the shower whatsoever and you'll be a happy camper. :)

COBALT
11-10-2004, 03:24 PM
Polyblend is a pretty good grout - at least I'm happy with it so far. Made by the same company (Custom Building Products) that makes the various types of thinset they carry. Comes in a lot of colors - but word of warning: the colored calk they carry doesn't come in all colors. I found that out the hard way since I used Dove Gray. They don't have a sanded calk that matches. I'm going to have to find it somewhere else...

It's already modified, so when you seal it you have to consider what type of sealer you're going to use. The bag recomends TileLab Surfaceguard - but of course that's one of their products too.

lruiz
11-10-2004, 03:27 PM
Awesome info, thanks soooooooooooooooooooooo much. I guess I'll dare and just use the Flexbond stuff. I'll just kick the Arcylopro stuff back to HD.

Do you think 50lbs of Flexbond would be ok for 150 sq of tile work? I'm not a math pro. :bow:

COBALT
11-10-2004, 03:32 PM
Since I'm not a pro I have a tendancy to waste more thinset than what I should. I think I used a couple of bags over about the same square footage, but I was doing walls and floor, and I mixed small batches (about 4-5 inches in the bottom of a 5 gal bucket - a +- quart or so of water). I also had a couple of bad batches I had to thow out.

If you're just doing a floor then it won't take you as long, and you won't waste as much as me.

;)