Threshold Question [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Threshold Question

gryzer
11-09-2004, 04:48 PM
How do I install a marble threshold leading from a ceramic tile floor to carpet?

Sponsored Links

opiethetileman
11-09-2004, 04:58 PM
The threshold need to be in the door jamb at hal way point. Is there a metal lip on the carpet now???? that needs to come out and be kicked.

jdkimes
11-09-2004, 05:15 PM
Where do you buy these "marble" threshhold?

At some point in the past I used a Corian one that was nice because you could cut it to the shape of the bathroom/hallway transition to fit the particular doorway.

Does anyone know where to find a Corian threshold? Maybe HD ?(I'm not going back to Lowe's after reading all about the Precision Edge tile problems)

COBALT
11-09-2004, 05:22 PM
Home Depot is great for wood (oak) and metal thresholds, and even carry Schluter, but they aren't very good for marble, and I don't know about Corian.

Tile shops and marble fabricators generally have marble thresholds of various thickness and width laying around in stacks. I picked my marble thresold up at my local neighborhood tile shop, but they have a very wide range of tile they can order, so they're big on tile designs.

My constraints are a bit different. I'm replacing my bathroom door, so the jam is coming out. I've already set my tile so I'm going to remove a section of hardwood floor within the threshold of the door, and set my marble threshold down, and then calk the seams. I'll do this once the door is out, and then I'll set the new door and jams on top of the threshold.

Rd Tile
11-09-2004, 07:14 PM
HD has many marble saddles in all shapes, colors and sizes by me.:)

Here's one I just finished in a bathroom with carpet in the bedroom, the carpet is put over a tack strip 1/4" from the saddle and the carpet is then tucked tight to it.:)

jdkimes
11-10-2004, 01:32 PM
What area at HD has those thresholds?
I've seen lots of wooden ones that are mostly for carpet to wood. But don't recall seeing the marble ones. The HD people look confused :uhh: when you ask them about it.
Can you cut/shape that at all if needed? How is that done if possible?

Rd Tile
11-10-2004, 03:13 PM
There right in the tile isle, yes, you can cut them on a wet saw, the door stops in the picture were undercut to fit the saddle.:)

COBALT
11-10-2004, 03:19 PM
They don't have them at either HD's in my area, and they say I can't order them. If you can find them in your local one more power to ya!

Mike2
11-10-2004, 03:28 PM
That full 20mm or 30mm stone RD?

Must be one big fancy HD out there on Lon Gisland. Never seen anything like that inna orange box out here in the sticks. Canteens, manure forks, and horse blankets yes, but not marble saddles. :shake:

jadnashua
11-10-2004, 04:39 PM
They're in all of th eHD's around me...New Hampshire. Even saw some in Alamogordo, NM (the middle of nowhere).

Rd Tile
11-10-2004, 07:14 PM
I don't know mm, about 3/4" thick Mike, 3 different colors, different bevels and all, alot cheaper than the tile showrooms, average $8 to $30, not bad.:)

jdkimes
11-12-2004, 12:46 PM
I've called the HD's here in Colorado and they don't have marble or corian transitions. I did a google for corian and marble threshold and transitions and could not find any on the internet (if someone knows of any online let me know).
What's the thinking on using the wood ones? Since HD has about 20 varieyties of those or I could make one out of oak in any variety of shape/style.

Rd Tile
11-12-2004, 01:22 PM
You can use anything you like, the look is up to you, I just prefer the look of marble or granite here, go to a stone shop, they will make any size, shape, color or stone one you need, will cost a little more than double the ones at HD.:)

jadnashua
11-12-2004, 05:09 PM
I had two thresholds made of granite - cost me about $90 each. Had to go away on a trip so I haven't installed them yet, but they look good.

lithnights
05-20-2006, 11:04 AM
In Rd Tile's picture above, does anyone know how you get that piece of marble underneath the door jamb? I don't see how that would be done??

Is there a link on this board on exactly how to install such a piece of marble? I want mine to look pretty much like the picture that he posted here..

Thanks,

chassis
05-20-2006, 12:46 PM
I got my crema marfil threshhold (matches the shower curb) from a tile/stone fabrication shop. I gave them the dimensions and they cut, edged and polished it. I installed.

For Corian I suggest going to a cabinetry or kitchen/bathroom showroom and ask if they can make you one. Very likely they will be able to do this with scraps from their previous jobs. You may have limited color selection, but on the other hand you might run into a shop that does alot of this type of thing. Spend some time with the local yellow pages and call around.

Rd Tile
05-20-2006, 04:21 PM
In Rd Tile's picture above, does anyone know how you get that piece of marble underneath the door jamb? I don't see how that would be done??

Easy, just cut it to fit into the opening between them, leave a 1/16 to 1/8" gap, this gets caulked with a mathing color, undercut the door stops for the saddle to fit under, or remove them and cut to fit after installing the saddle. :)

lithnights
05-22-2006, 07:32 AM
Rd Tile,

Thank you for the response.

By saddle I assume you mean the threshhold? I had never heard that term.

Maybe I'm missing something but I guess I'm still not sure how you get the saddle underneath the actual door stops.

On my door, these each stick out 3/8" from the jamb. In order to slide the saddle in, it seems I'd have to cut a good bit off of the bottom. So you're saying one could just remove them (or at least pull back the bottom of each one), install the saddle, then reinstall the stops?

And also, right now the threshold area is covered by rug with a subfloor below it. I assume I fill this entire area with mortar in order for the saddle to be secure and to be at the right height? Or is there another rmethod?

Thanks,

Deadpool9
05-22-2006, 07:55 AM
I used to install hardwood flooring for years. We would use what is called a jambsaw, and cut the bottom of the jamb off beforehand. Then when we got our flooring up to the doorway, we could slide the ends of our boards up underneath the jamb snugly, leaving no gap, and the jamb resting on our flooring. Of course if your carpet is already down, and your tile is already done, you may need to use either a sawzall or an open end hacksaw and cut a notch to do the same.
Usually we tried to eliminate transition strips altogether. If your carpet has not been put down yet, a carpet installer can roll the carpet at that seam, and give you a direct carpet to tile transition. But if you want the marble strip, as mentioned before, make sure it ends at the midpoint of the door. This keeps the floor from either side being seen from the other side. So when you are in the bathroom, you dont see any carpet, when in the bedroom, you dont see any tile.

lithnights
05-22-2006, 10:43 AM
Deadpool9

What you said is true. The carpet is already down and although the tile isn't, the cbu flooring is. I can't slide it in there. I'll just make some cuts and get in there somehow.

Actually the carpet is currently right up to the tile but the wife wanted a marble transition piece. So that's what I'm trying to do.

So if I want the strip to be only seen from the bathroom, I then have to cut it basically in half. I didn't realize that was one way to do it. I guess I'm just used to seeing the entire 4" deep piece installed as is. I guess it's personal preference?

Thanks!