grout problem [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : grout problem

mike matheson
07-02-2001, 01:24 AM
I have recently installed slate-like 12" x 12" ceramic tiles on the walls in my bathroom, they look great!!!
or should i say they did until i did the grout. I used non-sanded grout, however there seems to be a rather large build-up of grout on the top of several of the tiles. I can honestly say that i did my best to get it off while the grout was still wet but that was the past. is there any way to remove the grout from the face of the tile now that the grout has dried.

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
07-02-2001, 06:50 AM
Welcome aboard, Mike.

I would have used a sanded grout, but that's neither here nor there.

You can try sulfamic acid cristals. Get them at a tile suppy if you can't find them anywhere else. Follow the directions carefully. Goggles, rubber gloves, plenty of ventilation.

Check back. Others may have ideas.

John

Rob Z
07-02-2001, 06:57 AM
Hi Mike

The only thing to add to John's good advice is use plenty of water cleaning up the acid. Don't let any residue remain on the tile.

The sulphamic I use cautions a test on tile before use to see if the glaze will be affected. You may wish to try this on a few extras fefore you start on the installation.

Let us know how you make out.

Rob

John Bridge
07-02-2001, 03:55 PM
Glad you brought that up, Rob.

I'll add belatedly, protect the floor. Don't know what's on it, but acid could mess it up.

Bud Cline
07-02-2001, 04:47 PM
Mike,

How wide are your grout lines. Using sanded grout will solve your problems, it will not sag if mixed to the right consistency for a verticle application.