Shower Re-Do As Meditation [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Shower Re-Do As Meditation

diane_holmes
07-01-2001, 06:37 PM
Dear John and All Tile Buddies,

Just wanted to check in with you, to let you know my silence does not mean your educational efforts (a B.S. degree, if I'm not mistaken <g>) are/were wasted.

As last we spoke... I was awaiting a recommended expert to come re-do plumbing and give estimate on part/all of the rest of the work. Spoke with the guy on the phone, very nice. Promised to call me on Tuesday to set up a specific appointment for the end of the week.

Like so many of my experiences... nothing. Not a word, no call. I refused to call him to prompt him to call like he said he would. Have decided this is my test, sort of like sleeping on a pea in the old Princess and the Pea Test. Decided this guy was not my Shower Charming.

Decided to think about it all tomorrow. Several tomorrows, actually.

Meanwhile, I have been very ill for the last six months, worse and worse, and finally diagnosed it as sick building syndrome (house, in my case, which is also my office). Have been very busy "fixing" up the house, researching, etc. On the weekend that our AC broke (4:00 Friday), Scott ripped out 2000+ sq. feet of carpet. I mean the grossest stuff you've ever seen. Me, I couldn't help. Too much mold for me to get near anything.

So we now officially have two Diane projects (Shower and floors) that have to-date required Scott to do all the work (couldn't help tear out the shower, too much mold!). He's still waiting on his beer, by the way!

Of course, within one day, I was well. Scott doesn't recognize the new me. He keeps asking me out on dates, flirting, and other strange behavior.

But I'm drifting. Finally found plumber (looked him up under Sincere Plumber in his HS annual) and had him tear out the bad drain and put in a new one (yes, with weep holes!), and replace the shower valve (because Bud has taught me well). Also raised the shower head so people over 5'8" can shower.

Scott has all of the shower tile/wall ripped out except for the ceiling. Must first go into attic, crawl across to far side, and see if there is a ceiling there or if all the insulation will empty into the ripped out shower.

BUT FIRST... we are cleaning (yucky solvents) the naked concrete floor, doing and acid stain, and applying poly sealer (two coats) with a unique random pattern of animal hair (2 cats, 4 dogs). This will take a long time.

Shower project is on hold until floor is finished. Something about concrete smeared with drywall and paint splatters just isn't asthetically pleasing.

BUT a question!!! In the shower, we are back to slab, hole, pipe sticking out for floor drain. What, if anything, do we pack around the pipe?

Best (as always),

Diane

Sponsored Links

Rob Z
07-01-2001, 06:57 PM
Hi Diane

I'm sorry to hear that you are encountering so many problems.Are you sure you can't bribe John to leave the houston area and come up to Austin for your job? How far is it? A couple hours?

What did you mean with your question about "what do we pack around the pipe?" If you need to plug it up, you can get an test plug at Home Depot for about three dollars. It is a little plastic thing with a wingnut on the top and an expandable rubber gasket on the bottom. You probably have 2" pipe coming out of the slab, so you'll need one marked "2 inches".

Maybe you are referring to something else?

Well, I'm off to get my daughter to bed and read Dr. Seuss.

Rob

John Bridge
07-01-2001, 07:26 PM
Yeah, first you said Sincere Plumber installed a new drain, complete with weep holes, and then you ask (ax) what to do with the drain pipe. The new drain should have hidden the pipe from view.

I think we need another picture, 'cause I ain't leavin' town.

Sincere Tile Setter

All my kids are well beyond Dr. Seuss, but THE CAT IN THE HAT, and OH, THE PLACES YOU'LL GO are still two of my favorite books.

[Edited by John Bridge on 07-01-2001 at 09:33 PM]

John Bridge
07-01-2001, 07:37 PM
It just ocurred to me that maybe the plumber had to hack out some concrete in order to install the new drain. If that's the case, you can fill it with mortar when you do the pre-slope for your new pan.

Rob Z
07-01-2001, 07:49 PM
I have to admit I love all the Dr Seuss books. We still have some of the same ones my Mom read to me back in the late 60's.

John, do you remember this one:

Big A little a What begins with A?
Aunt Annie's alligator....A..a...A

Big B little b What begins with B?
Barber baby bubbles and a bumblebee.

From Dr. Seuss's ABC, 1963.

I'm really going to miss the reading when she gets older.

Diane, I think John figured it out. If it's a really deep, large hole, then some Sackrete may be useful. Send us a picture.

Rob

John Bridge
07-02-2001, 06:35 PM
Seuss in '63? Nah, I was in Germany trying to figure out who the Beetles were. (Trying to figure out who I was.)

I think I came into Seuss with Cat in the Hat and Green Eggs and Ham.

Oh, the places you'll go!

Now, see what you started, Diane?

diane_holmes
07-03-2001, 09:12 AM
Horton Sets A Tile...

Check out this link for fun. :)

http://www.seuss.org/seuss/seuss.parody.html

Back to the question! Yes, there is a "hole" in the slab (about 12", sorta round, sorta square opening), then dirt, then drain comming up.

Scott is searching for a digital camera for my birthday this month. I'll be as old as Dr. Seuss' ABCs. <g> So as soon as we have this camera...

Hate to keep bumming the neighbor's camera. Don't know why. Just gave them a cup of flour.

Anyway, seems like mortar is the answer. Once I'm ready to do pre-slope for latest-and-greatest shower pan, I'll be back with pictures and questions.... like where on the drain should the mortor "come up to?"

Again, thanks!

Diane I Am

John Bridge
07-03-2001, 03:46 PM
I do not like green eggs and ham, Diane I Am.

Been so long, I don't know if you remember M. Byrne's article. Shows where the mud goes.

http://www.jlconline.com/jlc/archive/kitchen/mortarbed_showers/index.html

A bientot.

diane_holmes
07-03-2001, 04:44 PM
Oh, yeah... What fond memories of reading this! You know how some articles, the minute you're done, you just can't wait to read them again.

Thanks for the reminder.

I think that last bit was a foreign language, but I didn't recognize it as COBOL or ALC. Hmmmm.

Will check back in a few weeks. Must do the floor. And why-oh-why is everyone wanting to come visit in July and August? I warn and I warn....

Best,

Diane, Tile Student

Rob Z
07-03-2001, 06:36 PM
Big C little c What begins with C?
Camel on the ceiling C...c...C

Big D little d David Donald Doo
dreamed a dozen donuts and
a duck-dog, too.

Bud Cline
07-03-2001, 06:56 PM
"BOY", I never did like that stuff, I'd rather have a poke in the eye with a sharp stick as to read anymore Dr Sucks........Suess.

Rob Z
07-03-2001, 09:16 PM
ABCDE ...e...e
ear egg elephant

e e E

Big F little f F...f...F
Four fluffy feathers on a
Fiffer-feffer-feff.

Bud Cline
07-03-2001, 09:30 PM
Slow feet...quick feet...trick feet...sick feet...up feet...down feet...Here come the clown feet.

I still don't give a sheet!

Rob Z
07-03-2001, 09:43 PM
HAHAHAHA!

Rob Z
07-04-2001, 05:33 AM
Diane

On what day is your birthday?

Rob

John Bridge
07-04-2001, 06:30 AM
Bud, when you registered on this board there was a requirement you must have overlooked that everyone be enthralled by Dr. Seuss.

The other requirement, which you probably overlooked also, is that everyone have a large poster of Big Bird hugging Barney posted on the wall over the computer monitor. I'll bet you renegged on that, too!

Keep it up, fella, and you could get busted back to "junior member."

diane_holmes
07-04-2001, 06:57 AM
Rod,

The 21st!~ It wasn't until I met Scott that someone (him)pointed out my birthdate was all multiples of 7. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with that knowledge. :)

Bud,

You're busted man.

All,
I was working on a some cabinet-doors for a bookshelf unit recently, using an "L" to measure the door panels. I could NOT get them right. I would measure over and over. Scott, who was helping despite my bad humor, said, "I don't understand what the problem is!" "You think I have the answer?!" I cleverly retorted. Came to find out each side of the level (top, bottom, left, right, front, back) divides inches differently. Fourths, eighths, sixteenths... THIRDS!!

Do you know that "L's" throw like Frisbees?

Best,

Diane

Rob Z
07-04-2001, 07:16 AM
Diane

Is that "L" a framing square?

Here's some birthday trivia (trivial). When I was born, there was an article in the local paper entitled "A Gambler's Dream". This article detailed the facts of my birth: born 7th month, 11th day, weighed 7 pounds 11 ounces, Dad assigned to the 7th battalion, 11th artillery, and his dorm room in college when he met Mom was...#711.

I was born at 6:58 am, why couldn't Mom have held out for just a few more minutes?

When I was in elementary school, I remember a teacher saying that the odds were such that in a group of something like 28 people, there would be two people in the group with the same birthday. Back when I was teaching, I used to survey my classes to see if it would ever happen. It never did.

More birthday trivia. My sister and one of my sister-in-laws both had sons (my nephews) on July 11th. As they were getting close to their due dates (which were not July 11), I campaigned heavily for labor to begin any time they wanted, as long as it concluded on July 11. It turns out that they were not even considering my request when they were in the delivery room, or so they tell me.

Well, we hope to guide you through your tile project, step by step. You'll get about a dozen different opinions from the regulars on the forum, so be prepared.

Bye

Rob Z

diane_holmes
07-10-2001, 07:33 AM
Dear Rob Z,

You have the best birthday trivia~! Very cool.

>Is that "L" a framing square?

No formal introductions were made. It is, however, silver. <g>

Ever notice how every new project required all existing projects to come to a screeching halt? Just an observation.

Best to all,

Diane, four projects removed from Shower/Tile

John Bridge
07-10-2001, 03:19 PM
"One man's framing square is another woman's L."

-- Anonymous

Rob Z
07-10-2001, 03:22 PM
"Framing square, meet Diane. Diane, this is your framing square" (Shake hands now.)

Bud Cline
07-10-2001, 06:55 PM
That's nothin', I'm still trying to explain to greenhorns I hire why that little triangle thingy I carry in my back pocket is called a square.

Oh, and that little "A" thing with the pencil in it, I'm finally to the point that I just send them after the little "A" thing with the pencil in it, and the triangle. Everyone knows a compass tells you which way north is, and dividers never make sense to anybody. God help you if you refer to dividers or a compass as a "scribe".

Are you following this Diane?

Then there's the "cheese grater". That really blows their minds.