Hydroment 1900 Modified Epoxy Grout Installation Questions [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Hydroment 1900 Modified Epoxy Grout Installation Questions

Indy
09-20-2004, 11:00 AM
I'm getting ready to use Hydroment 1900 Modified Epoxy grout and had a few questions. I've been told that you should clean the grout 3 times to remove haze.

First cleaning 30-45 mins when grout does not drag
remove all excess grout with the float when applying
luke warm water with "Hydroment Remove" cleaner in water
white 3M pad to break up excess grout on tile
sponge to scoop off broke up grout
will remove all but film at this point

Second cleaning 60 mins after first cleaning
white 3M pad and sponge
95% will be off this time--only light film will be left

Third cleaning following day
white 3m pad and sponge
remove final haze

Has anyone have any experience with product? Does this sound reasonable? Any advice or tricks?

I was told to use 2 buckets of water for clean-up. One for the initial cleaning of the pads/sponges and a second for final rinsing. Do you put the "Hydroment Remove" in both buckets?

What type of float do you recommend? Anything special?

Luke warm water?? How often should the water be changed? What do you pros recommend?

Third cleaning the following day?? Could or should this be done the same day?

The product comes in 25# bags plus the epoxy part A & B. Can less than 25# be mixed up at time? I have a 330 sq/ft room and was wondering how much to tackle at a time.

Rick

Sponsored Links

Chris the Rep
09-20-2004, 12:46 PM
Rick,

First off, do not try to mix less than 25# of grout. Open Part A and Part B, stir each one in the pail it came in completely. Then empty "A" and "B" into your mixing pail, scraping out as much as possible. Stir these two together completely. You'll know when, the 2 colors will be completely blended. Then start to stir in the whole bag of powder, a little at a time. You'll need a drill mixer for this, you won't be able to mix it well enough by hand. Mix thoroughly, taking care to scrape the bottom and sides of the mixing pail. Let stand about 15 minutes, then re-mix. If the material feels a little stiff in the pail after 30 minutes or so, just re-mix it, it will loosen up. But don't add any additional liquid to it.

After you start spreading grout, if it looks like it is going to take longer than a couple of hours to use all of the material in the pail, you can park the pail in a tub filled with cold water (Add some ice to the tub if it is really hot in the work area. I put the whole pail in the fridge once when I had to leave for an emergency). Cool temperatures will extend the bucket life considerably. Just remember, if you cool it, it will take longer to set up in the joints.

A light wipe over the tiles with a barely damp sponge is a good idea just before spreading the grout. You don't want pooled water, or any water in the joints, you're just trying to fill the minute pores on the face of the tile. Work the grout into the joints and use an epoxy float to remove as much as possible from the face of the tile. After 30-45 minutes, come back and see if it is firm enough to begin cleaning. Don't be alarmed if it isn't ready yet, if it isn't, leave it for a few minutes and continue grouting some more. When it is firm enough to not drag out, use the pad to lightly scrub the face of the tiles, and then use the sponge to take up the residue. Warm water is OK, but I wouldn't be using the Remove yet.

What you're trying to accomplish with the pad is to scrub the residue to an even, uniform, albeit heavy, film on the face of the tiles, then use the sponge to remove the film. Have the sponge heavy with water, but not dripping. Lay it flat on the tile, grab the top edge closest to you, and pull it diagonally toward you, keeping the sponge flat on the floor. You should have an almost clean surface. Flip the sponge over and make another pass on the next section, then rinse. You can do the same thing faster with an old bath towel. Wet it, wring it so it isn't dripping, and holding it by the corners, flop it out as flat as possible, so it settles flat on the floor. Grab the corners, but don't lift the towel from the surface of the floor, and pull it towards you. Kind of like using a chamois on your car.

You want to always go from the floor to the first pail of cleaning water, so the heavy residue gets deposited there. Rinse and wring sponge or pad thoroughly, and then pick up fresh soultion from the second pail and take it to the floor. Never go from pail 1 to the floor. As for changing the water, when it becomes difficult to get the pad rinsed out in pail 1, dump the water, rinse it clean and refill it. Pail 2, which shouldn't be too dirty yet, becomes pail 1, and the fresh pail of water becomes pail 2.

Check back frequently, and when the grout feels like it is beginning to harden, you can go back with the Remove in warm water and your pad and sponge to clean up the final residue. Follow the same 2 bucket method as the first time. If you see any traces of residue the day after, or if the floor feels tacky when you walk across it or to the touch, use the Remove again to clean it. Don't let it go more than 24 hours! You can use Remove full strength if you find a heavy deposit. But don't use it on marble or near brass.

Hydroment 1900 is a great product, slow setting and very forgiving. You'll find the grout color will be richer than the sample (a bit darker) than the sample you chose. BTW, this product will not yield to vinegar and water for haze removal.

Chris

tileguytodd
09-20-2004, 01:16 PM
I couldnt have said it better myownself Chris.

Rick,can you tell he has a little experiance with 1900 :)
Maybe even more than me ;)

We still get little call for epoxy grout up here although it is on the increase.
My last 1900 job was a 20+ person Hot tub in a YMCA with 1x1 glass mosaics.
This was a very hot room and setup time was a bit quicker than normal so we had to Stay On It so to speak.
Chris's instructions above should go into a textbook on Hydroment 1900.He even covered most of the variables.
Besides, he sure saved me alot of typing LOL

Chris, I'm going to see about getting this saved to the library.I was planning on answering this one myself(knew it was coming as Rick emailed me the question and i asked him to bring it here for the benefit of others)

Good Job Chris!! :bow:

Indy
09-21-2004, 11:13 AM
Thanks Chris & Todd for all you insight!

Is there any particualar type of "pad" you recommend? I'm looking at a supply catalog and they have many different colors/abrasive grades.

Brillo Polyester Utility Pads

White,delicate, for sinks, tubs, ceraminc/plastic tubs
Blue, medium, for boats, pools, heel marks
Brown, heavy duty, for walls, floors, baseboards
Sapphire, hi-performance stripping, walls, floors
Green, medium, all purpose, pots to counter tops
Green, Heavy-duty, for extra tough scouring jobs like ovens

As for sponges, I have seen square edged and rounded edged. What do you recommend for the hydroment 1900 epoxy grout?

When you say "warm water" .... how warm??

Thanks,

Rick

Indy
09-22-2004, 09:12 AM
Hey guys,

Any suggestions on which pads and sponges to buy?

Thanks!

Rick

Chris the Rep
09-22-2004, 09:24 AM
I like the rounded edge sponges, with a broad flat face. Commonly called Hydra Sponges. As for pads, A lot depends on how rough the face of the tile is. Based on your descriptions, I'd probably use white or blue.

Water temperature: not scalding. If you can't put your hands into the pail, it's too hot. I wouldn't be too concerned about the water temperature.

Supply catalog? Hit the hardware store or home center, or the local tile supply. Spend the money locally and save the time as well.

Chris

Indy
09-22-2004, 09:50 AM
Will using round edge sponges help keep from pulling the epoxy grout out vs square edged?

We buy our cleaning supplies from a company in Illinois called Hesco, Inc very cheap!! Check out their website and order a catalog! www.hescoinc.com

Thanks!

Rick

tileguytodd
09-22-2004, 09:55 AM
Allowing the proper set up time will help keep from pulling the epoxy out of the joints.
Make sure those joints are bone dry before grouting.no spilled water etc.
Dampen the face of the tile dont saturate.Keep those joints dry inside.
Have at it Rick and stay on it.your next break is when your done :)

Chris the Rep
09-22-2004, 10:57 AM
Rick,

I looked at their site, prices are Ok, but I don't like cellulose sponges myself. Grout tends to tear them apart very quickly. Hydra Sponges are polyester, will take lots of water so they wring out cleaner, and they don't tear very easily.

You're going into the part of the job that makes or breaks the look of the installation. Don't skimp here.

Chris

Indy
09-22-2004, 03:02 PM
Chris,

Thanks for the info on Hydra Polyester Sponges. That's what I'll use. About how many square feet will they last? I have about 330 sq ft, so I want to be properly prepared...

Thanks,

Rick

Chris the Rep
09-22-2004, 03:24 PM
I'd have at least 2, maybe 3. It's not like a sponge can't be used for other purposes. If you're going to enlist any help, have 2 per person. I'd still consider using the old towels, too. I personally don't think that there is a better way to clean up grout using a wet method.

Chris