Swanstone anyone? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Swanstone anyone?

topchef
05-07-2001, 08:42 AM
Howdy All!

Great new digs John!!

So I was checking out sink options for my deck cabinet and ran across a fiberglass sink made by Swanstone. Turns out they make countertops too...and from what I gather from the web site, their product is half the cost of "other" product made by ::::::coughs::::dupont::::

Anyone ever use this stuff?

Topchef

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
05-07-2001, 02:46 PM
I've never heard of the stuff, Chris, but I'm not everyone. Maybe it's regonal. We have a local one called Star Stone.

I replied to your post on the welcome message.

John

topchef
05-08-2001, 06:38 AM
According to the web site http://www.theswancorp.com the counter tops use a 1/4" layer of this material on a particle board substrate. It looks and feels like Corian. Next time I'm over at the building supply source, I'll get the low-down.

If it really DOES stand up to Corian at half the cost, it would be a real find.

TC

rickbuddy
05-08-2001, 01:44 PM
Looked into the stuff during my current kitchen remodel.

The knock on Swanstone is pretty easy to understand if you've ever replaced particle board that's gotten wet: it expands. However the hard exterior surface on Swanstone does not and it eventually cracks.

Folks who sell Swanstone either deny it ever happens, or claim the problem has been fixed. The place that sold me our Corian was burned enough by the product that they refuse to sell it anymore and they explained their problems with it.

My take is that the sweetness of the great price will be forgotten soon after my wife has made that "piece of junk countertop Rick installed" the main course of her dinner party conversation.

Pros have it a little easier, the proper JEOPARDY response is, "What is a callback? Kitchen Remodel Blunders for $100."

Rick

John Bridge
05-08-2001, 04:35 PM
Just two observations.

Rick,

My wife absolutely LOVES all the screwups I'm responsible for around here, even after they start to crack.

And, it seems to me that if the particle board (lovely stuff) were taken out of the picture, the outcome might be different.

I hear you, though. Usually, when you start hearing a lot of bitching from a bunch of different sources about a product, you can take it to heart.

topchef
05-08-2001, 06:01 PM
Well...I figured someone would step-up to the plate and say in so many words what I was mumbling to myself: "If it seems to good to be true...."

Thanks guys.

TC

rickbuddy
05-11-2001, 02:39 PM
John,

It's good that your wife appreciates the little screw ups.

My sweetheart is just wired a little different. And I appreciate that. She's a surgical nurse and from all the talk I hear at her hospital cocktail parties I've learned that the brain surgeons she works with have a very high regard for her abilities.

So while I must grow accustomed to the fact that the world around her must be arranged as precisely as a surgical tray, I also appreciate that she's a hawk for tool names. Plus, when she places a tool in my hands it arrives with the all precision and firm purpose her trade requires. That can be a very cool feeling. Except yesterday before when we "closed" a wall with drywall we had to do a tool count.

I suspect that if the sawdust and plaster dust eminating from our re-hab project were blood and guts I'd never hear a single complaint from her.

Our baptism by mud is scheduled for this Saturday at 8:00 AM CDT. We'll keep you posted.

Rick

John Bridge
05-11-2001, 02:55 PM
This is Houston Control. Estimated time of mud lift off is 8:00 AM. 16 hours and counting. . .

topchef
05-12-2001, 07:07 AM
Just to let ya know, I scrubbed down the deck with TSP and re-applied the Penofin Oil Finish...looks great. I'll post a picture one of these days.

Topchef
"Give a man a fish and he's fed for a day...teach a man to fish and he'll get hit by a nuclear submarine."

John Bridge
05-17-2001, 05:01 PM
Well, eh, "one of these days" when? We're all sittin' around here in anticipation. Well, maybe not real anticipation. Let's say, we're wondering. . .