How to grout random slate of 1 - 3 inch gap? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : How to grout random slate of 1 - 3 inch gap?

KBMCLEAN
08-16-2004, 04:43 AM
Hello, My name is Kendra. I'm up late searching for an answer to my delima! This is my first time to your site. I've read over 27 pages of archives and still didn't see anything that would help.

Can you help ?? Outside, I have laid Three River Slate of 1 - 1 1/2 inch thick into Motor and it didn't turn out right! I have huge gaps between stones and don't know if I should mix my own grout ( 1 part s-mortar with 2 parts utility sand) or buy sand based grout. And which would last longer? I live in Sacramento CA, no freezing. I laid the stone on top of 2 inch concrete slab with a tilt away from house to drain.

I have experimented with the motar and sand mixture the last few days onto card board to check if it would work. I'm not so sure...

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links

tileguytodd
08-16-2004, 06:37 AM
Yes, use Portland cement and Silica sand. 1 part portland to 2 parts silica.
There ya go :)

KBMCLEAN
08-16-2004, 12:58 PM
Thank you for your help! My project is stopped because of this... Is there a certain grade Portland Cement? Is there a certain grade of Silica? :bow:

Scooter
08-16-2004, 01:56 PM
Nope. Portland is Portland. Make sure it is CEMENT, not concrete. Concrete has aggregate.

Silica sand should be available at any Masonry supplier. No particular grade that matters to you.

T_Hulse
08-16-2004, 02:04 PM
Scooters right, you can probably only find one kind of portland locally. It'll be type I, or maybe type I & II. Doesn't matter much.
You can also chunk off small pcs & break them so they fit at the intersections. If you want to get your grout down to around 1/2" or so wide, you can break small pcs of stone to fit any size and it gives it a more finished look. :)