Concete Slab Disaster [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Concete Slab Disaster

Jackie A
08-15-2004, 01:47 PM
I am in the process of remodeling my bathroom. Because of the transition into the next room I chose to remove the old tile. Whoever laid to existing tile used a type of Wonder Board material over the concrete slab. What a mess!

I have most of the tile and backer board material up, but the existing concrete foundation is a disaster. I am not sure what is worse, the thin set left on the concrete or the divits I made with the inpact hammer trying to get the stuff up.

Now I need to know what to do. I do need to raise the level a bit and cover the divits. Can I use a self leveling product to do this and if so do I need to remove the morter that is left or can I just cover it?

Sponsored Links

Airborne
08-15-2004, 02:28 PM
A self leveling product would be the way to go. You need not be concerned about mortar residude that is well anchored to the concrete slab (ie. stubborn mortar that doesn't want to come off) as long as it is not thick enough to stick up above the surface of the SLC after you pour it.

Inspect your underlying slab to make sure there aren't any significant cracks or cold joints in the concrete. Hairline cracks (less than about 1/16" wide) that have no vertical displacement shouldn't be a concern, but if you see any tooled joints or cracks that have vertical displacement from one side to the other we'll need to talk more about how to deal with them.

You will end up with a great surface over which to tile if you use SLC, so I'd say go for it.

Jackie A
08-15-2004, 02:56 PM
Thank you for the information Art, I will get busy!