Installing wavy edge tiles????? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Installing wavy edge tiles?????

melgrek
08-15-2004, 04:30 AM
good morning...........I purchased tiles which have a wavy edge to them for a bathroom. Should spacers have been used, I was told no at the tile store. The floor was done in a running board pattern it looks pretty. On the shower walls no pattern was done, the tiles were placed one after the other. When the four corners meet there is an ugly space of grout. Uneven spaces because of the wavy edge on the tile? What was the correct way on installing? Thank you.

Sponsored Links

william keller
08-15-2004, 04:52 AM
i installed tiles that had uneven edges and were bowed, nothing was straight. i used spacers and wedges to try to get some semblance of order to them. some tiles are supposed to be this way thats the look it is suppose to have. mine were hand made. and also different sizes. do you have enough space to put the grout in between the tiles? if so i would presume that they would be alright. i am just a new guy though and others will give you sound advice. good luck

Shaughnn
08-15-2004, 06:46 AM
Many "wavy edged" tile are still uniform in size and have flat surfaces which line up and make stacking a snap. Put several tile together without a joint and you should see spots on the tile's edge that consistently line up. Stack your spacers at these points and you will be able to keep your level-lines with only minor adjustments. The randomly huge grout intersections are going to happen, but you can minimize them by turning the tile as you set it to put the most attractive corners together.
Best of luck,
Shaughnn

Rd Tile
08-15-2004, 06:55 AM
I never use spacers on floors, only walls, grid the floor and snap chaulk lines, and you can also work with a straightedge to check each row, spacers will throw you off, unless rectified tile, [all the same size].:)