1/4 rounds slightly lighter than field tile [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : 1/4 rounds slightly lighter than field tile

Jenn
08-14-2004, 06:31 PM
Our tile arrived today for the kitchen countertop which will be installed next week.

I took some out of the boxes to examine them. The quarter rounds are slightly lighter than the field tiles. Perhaps someone else wouldn't notice -- I have a keen eye for the tiniest details. (The tile is American Olean's Vallano series in Milk Chocolate. The 1/4 rounds seem to be a closer match to Milk Chocolate than the Dark Chocolate, but it's not a perfect match to Milk Chocolate either.) The box is labeled "Dark Chocolate".

I called the store and talked to the owner who has been very helpful to us (she was the one who served us when we shopped at the store). She told me that 1/4 rounds and beaks are almost always slightly different than the field tile.

Is that true? She offered to order a piece of the Milk Chocolate so we can compare, but I wonder if it is worth her time.

As I already said, it's hardly noticable but my radar eyes would spot a flea on the wall in the backyard from 50 feet away. :rolleyes:

Jen

Sponsored Links

T_Hulse
08-14-2004, 07:11 PM
Hi Jen,
My experience is that they've always been different for me. They're made in a different run on a different machine, and often at a whole different factory. It's pretty much an industry standard that stone-look relief trims are more of a coordinating color instead of a matching color. :)

Davy
08-14-2004, 07:45 PM
Yeah, Tom is right. Jenn, if you can see the difference just holding up two pieces, just wait till you have a whole row of them up, you'll really see it.

Jenn
08-14-2004, 09:57 PM
Thank you. I feel a WHOLE lot better. I was afraid that we really received the wrong color in a mis-marked box and we are just settling for it rather than replacing it. :dance:

We decided they will be OK. The field tiles are a variation of color anyway, and the quarter rounds match the lighter color in the tile. And, there isn't really a huge difference. I called the store and told them we will accept this color so they won't have to bother ordering any extra pieces.

We also noticed that the beaks and v-caps are slightly different and all these trim pieces have a slightly different than the field tiles.

Oh well if most or all tile is like this then we won't sweat it. Our bathroom countertops are also tile but the 1/4 round matches one of them perfectly so we didn't realize this was an industry standard.

Thanks again for putting our minds at ease. :)

Jen

Jenn
08-14-2004, 10:00 PM
Oops... meant to say "the beaks and v-caps are slightly different in color and all these trim pieces have a slightly different texture than the field tiles. :rolleyes:

Joerg
08-16-2004, 03:56 PM
Same thing here, Jenn. We installed Roca procelain tiles from Spain on bathroom vanities and the quarter rounds were a tad lighter and more greenish than the beige tiles. My wife was a bit concerned but now it looks just gorgeous.

Regards, Joerg.