Tile around fireplace insert...... [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tile around fireplace insert......

Big Splinter
08-14-2004, 10:05 AM
I am going to put in a gas fireplace and want to tile around it and also on a raised hearth. I will be building the surround and hearth myself. Plan on making it stout. Plan on covering with 3/4 exterior plywood. Can I tile over the plywood or should I add a hardi/ cement board. Also should I use a mastic or thinset since no water issue?? Maybe that depends on what I use underneath?? Probable basic questions, but have looked back and most subjects involve wet areas. Thanks guys. ED

Sponsored Links

Jason_Butler
08-14-2004, 10:29 AM
I would not tile directly over plywood - especially in this case where there is alot of expansion/contraction going on due to the temp changes. Add hardi or another CBU and use a good latex mod thinset. Mastic would probably work but you can't go wrong with thinset.

Jason

Big Splinter
08-14-2004, 12:43 PM
which is better and easier to install hardi or cement board. also can one use roofing nails. It seems i seen screws being used once but didnt seat flush. Does one need anything between the plywood and cbu or just nail or screw it. What are the rules for mastic versus thinset? thanks ED

John Bridge
08-14-2004, 04:04 PM
Hi Ed,

Hardi isn't quite as messy as some of the others, but everyone has his preference. :) Yes, you can use galvanized roofing nails. Also, treat the hearth like a floor and bed the backer board in thin set.

Davy
08-14-2004, 07:16 PM
Hi Ed, thinset is to be used in wet areas but can be used in dry areas too. Mastic is for dry areas only. :)

dreamr
08-14-2004, 11:58 PM
Hi Ed , remember when setting the tile in the corners of the fireplace to make sure you have the grout lines running out from corner of the fireplace. ( This means do not place an L shaped tile in the top corners, they may tend to crack . If the temp does effect you it will hit at the grout lines not the tile .