idea for bathtub surround [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : idea for bathtub surround

Jackman
08-13-2004, 10:30 AM
I just installed a new tub in an alcove which I am planning to tile. The new tub is a standard 60" in length with the opening being 61". The wall in back of the tub is brick with the adjacent wall being plaster over brick. I am looking for an idea for how to cover the 1" space from the floor to the top of the tub where it joins the back wall which will be tiled. I'm not sure how to cover it without it looking cheesy. Any ideas? Thanks.

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
08-14-2004, 02:57 PM
Hi Jack, Welcome aboard. :)

You can use furring strips (1 by 2s) to build out the end walls. You can also nail them to the brick wall. You can then either install cement backer board and tile, or you can install sheetrock, Kerdi membrane and tile. Kerdi is made and distributed by Schluter Systems.

http://www.schluter.com

tileguytodd
08-14-2004, 04:50 PM
Another option is to follow johns advice for about 36'' - 40 '' of height.A solid granite Shelf(this can come out the 1" + another 2-2 1/4 making it wide enough for shampoo bottles , candles etc could be used.
Durock the back wall above the shelf right to the studs without the furring strips.
Solid shelf can be profiled on the face and the exposed end. This will work well if you will not have shower doors etc.a shower curtain would work fine.
If you were to do this,Be sure to use redgaurd to waterproof the area and in setting the shelf give it a slight pitch for drainage ;)

Jackman
08-16-2004, 12:09 AM
Furring strips worked like a champ. Thanks.