Kerdi + Pro Slope [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Kerdi + Pro Slope

Rob Morita
08-12-2004, 05:16 PM
Do these two play well together?

Sponsored Links

Davestone
08-12-2004, 07:54 PM
Don't need the preslope for the Kerdi system, but if you need to smooth floor you could. :)

T_Hulse
08-12-2004, 09:27 PM
Hi Rob,
You can't use the proslope under Kerdi for your basic slope because Kerdi really needs the Kerdi drain, & the Kerdi drain won't fit right into the Pro Slope I believe. Here is a link (http://www.tile-experts.com/products.asp?id=53) to a preformed slope made to go with the Kerdi system. I've haven't tried it myself, I prefer mud. :)

Rob Morita
08-13-2004, 03:38 PM
Okay, I realize that was a dumb question. :crazy:

After looking at the materials and some of the videos, my biggest concern about the system is how I would attach the drain. I'm currently on a slab with a cast iron drain. After tearing down my shower and removing the old mud pan down to the slab, will I likely have to dig out concrete surrounding my current drain to attach the new drain? This part wasn't clear in the Kerdi system materials.

T_Hulse
08-13-2004, 09:51 PM
Hi Rob,
Yup. A roto hammer with a chisel head makes quick work of chipping out the concrete. If you don't want to do that you can reuse your old drain (if it's still in good condition) & do a regular old fashioned mud pan with a mud preslope, then liner, then a mud final bed. You can still use Kerdi for the walls.

John Bridge
08-14-2004, 04:32 PM
Rob,

I would go for the complete Kerdi system. Dig out the old and install the new. :)

T_Hulse
08-14-2004, 05:28 PM
John that's just not fair tempting him with that brand new beautiful clean drain that's rustproof. Now why would he want to take a chance on another 30 years with the old cast iron? :D

David Taylor
08-16-2004, 04:13 AM
I would go with the complete Kerdi system as well. It'll save you time you didn't know you'd have to spend otherwise doing a conventional shower.

The new Kerdi-drain video deals with attaching to pipes that are already in place. The old video showed an installation where one had access to the plumbing from below.

I'll have to check when the video will be out - I'll keep everyone posted.

Rob Morita
08-16-2004, 01:57 PM
That says a lot when people tell you that hammering out concrete will be easier than putting in a traditional pan. The updated video will be nice to see. What kind of installation instructions come with the shower kit?

David Taylor
08-16-2004, 06:01 PM
There's an installation CD included in every drain box. If you'd rather have VHS format, that's still available. I'm not sure how long the new one is, but I'd put a guess at 40-45 minutes. The older one, if memory serves me correctly, is 30 minutes.

"The Making of the Kerdi-Drain Video" comes in a special collectible 2-CD case and includes out-takes and alternate endings. Candid interviews with the cast of the video are a highlight of this bonus CD.

Ok... so there's no bonus CD. I was joking about that part. :D

Rob Morita
08-16-2004, 06:05 PM
"The Making of the Kerdi-Drain Video" comes in a special collectible 2-CD case and includes out-takes and alternate endings. Candid interviews with the cast of the video are a highlight of this bonus CD.

Ok... so there's no bonus CD. I was joking about that part. :D

It would still be far better than the Showgirls collector dvd.

My tiling book must be on the slow boat. I still haven't received it yet. I'm anxious to start reading.

John Bridge
08-16-2004, 07:47 PM
Hi Rob,

I'm not sure how long the book takes to travel to Hawaii. It's usually four or five days on the continent. They may have had Cliff Claven tie it to a driftwood raft and send it out with the tide. ;)

Rob Morita
08-16-2004, 07:52 PM
Media mail to Hawaii can take up to 3 weeks. Priority is usually 4 days. It's okay. I'm still doing my Kerdi research on this site.

Still worried about chipping around that drain. Never done that before. I'm trying to get everything prepped in advance, but I'm sure I'll discover a lot more after I demo the shower.