Goofed up wall...float time. [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Goofed up wall...float time.

COBALT
08-12-2004, 10:44 AM
All of you reading my thread on the radius cove molding know I had some concerns about some flaws in my bathroom walls. Turns out after some lengthy measuring last night the front/back walls are parellel, and with some minor floating should be fine, the left wall where the tub goes has some depressions, but nothing I can't use a straight-edge on to remove and it is square with the adjacent walls, but a MAJOR problem presented itself with my right bathroom wall where the toilet, ped sink, and cabinet go.

Not only is it severely out of plumb in several areas along the wall (sloping in on one end, level in the middle, and sloping out on the other as much as 1/2" difference), it's not square with the adjacent walls (about 1/2" out over a little less than 6'). I have to blame myself. I didn't bother to do any corrections to the old studs before I had the plumber set the drain pipe, or before the drywaller set the board for the ceiling and the remaining 48" of wall from ceiling to my wonderboard.

Before tearing down the entire wall and starting over I had an idea. I think I can set float strips in some key areas, and float the entire 48" from floor to 1/2 way up the wall where the wonderboard stops. The rest the drywaller will have to correct with hot mud to match the tile.

After cutting several strips that look like giant shims and tacking them into place I can get a level to slide up the wall, and they're all plumb, but there's no way to make the wall square with the adjacent walls. It would take entirely too much mud in one corner (over 3/4" thickness) to make up the difference. I'll have to hide the flaws in the floor as best as I can, and thankfully the toilet, cabinet, and ped sink will be there.

I know tearing it out and re-doing it is the right way, but I need to have this bathroom done as soon as I can.

Anyone else do this over wonderboard already hung? What was the result? I'm using versabond fortified thinset, and was planning on making a straight-edge using plywood.

Sponsored Links

BriGuy
08-12-2004, 01:19 PM
Cobalt,

I had a similar problem where I was trying to correct a wavy wall and I had the wonderboard and drywall already up. I ended up putting a second sheet of drywall over the first and then floating with mortar over the wonderboard to match the drywall. The end result was nice, however, it would have been much less effort to rebuild the wall, but I like making things harder than they need to be. :)

I don't think you can fix 1/2 " flaw with thinset though. I think it would be too sticky.

If you have the itch to become a mud man, then this is your chance! John's book has step by step instructions.

Brian

COBALT
08-12-2004, 01:48 PM
I've always heard you can use thinset to do this as long as it's not thicker than 3/4" on a vertical surface.

Someone else mentioned using QuickFix. Will this bond to already-laide thinset, and sections of wall where drywall mud has been used to bridge the gap between the wonderboard and drywall?