Replacement Shower pan [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Shower pan

Unregistered
08-12-2004, 10:19 AM
I'm getting my house re-piped.
My master bathroom needs remodeling. I figure this is the best time to re-tile
the shower and floor and also replace the faucets
The fiberglass shower pan is yucky, dirty , but no leaks, except a little around the grout area.
1) I had an estimate to replace the shower pan for $450.00,
and I have to buy the replacement pan myself.
Is this reasonble ?

2) If I was to make this a DIY job.
How difficult would it be me to remove the old pan ?
If I'm able to remove the old pan what kind of touch up work
is required before installing the new pan ?

3) Can I just tile over the old pan instead of replacing ?

4) If I do buy a new pan are there standards or brands that I need to
consider ?

Thanks...

Jeff

Sponsored Links

ewstan
08-12-2004, 01:47 PM
Jeff,

I've just about completed a total rebuild of a 3x3 shower stall. I removed the existing walls and tile, shower pan-to-ceiling. I then had to drill the lead seal sealing the drain to the drain pipe to release the shower pan from the pipe. The pan then came out easily. Your shower pan may be sealed differently.

I then had to replace most of the warped studs to get them vertical and flush-required for proper installation of the concrete backer board (CBU). I also had to replace half of the subfloor under the shower pan.

The subfloor was off level about 1/2 inch toward one corner. I poured approx 3/4 inch of mortar on the subfloor and pressed the pan into the mortar making sure it was level.

After allowing two days for the mortar to harden I stapled 4mil plastic to the walls and installed 1/2 inch CBU from the top of the pan flange to the ceiling.

I researched shower pans and decided on a Swanstone unit primarily because my space was about 1/8th inch bigger than 36x36. All the other pans were 1/8th to 1/4 inch larger in one or both directions. The Swanstone is exactly 36x36.

After you get the shower ripped out you will need to make sure the drain pipe is centered in the space and vertical. There is little room for error with the pan self caulking drain.

Here are a couple of deain pan sites:

http://www.theswancorp.com/products/showerWallsFloors/singleThreshold/index.php

http://www.lascobathware.com/pans.htm

http://www.lascobathware.com/pans.htm

Wray

Unregistered
08-12-2004, 02:40 PM
Thanks Wray !

I was just thinking. If I rip out the old pan, is there a better option to replace it with something else. I'm trying to avoid the scenerio that I'm in now. In 5 yrs or so, I hate to be looking at a beat up dirty, dingy shower pan.

ewstan
08-12-2004, 02:45 PM
The pros on this forum will certainly recommend a tiled shower floor. That was more than I wanted to take on at the time.

I'm sure that they will give you lots of encouragement.

Wray

proszkow
08-12-2004, 03:16 PM
Jeff

As Wray said a lot of folks on this forum are building custom showers from scratch.

I'm a novice do it yourselfer and its a bit of a challenge but I've just about finished my new custom shower. Its pretty cool (if it works).

There's lots of material on the subject in the "Liberry".

Sorry I cant help you much with your fiberglass shower pan. I'm sure the pros will give you a hand.

Alex

trecile
08-12-2004, 10:37 PM
I am about to rip out my old fiberglass pan and build a Kerdi shower. The drain cost less than $75.00, and I found mosaic tile for less than $3.00 a foot for the floor. Adding in the Kerdi and the mud the shower pan should cost less than $150. I am so looking forward to not having to look at my stained shower floor any more.

John Bridge
08-13-2004, 07:27 AM
Welcome aboard, Jeff. Go ahead and register so you can post pictures. :)

I would rip out the entire shower and start from scratch. If the rest of these folks can do it, you can too. :)

osagejl
08-13-2004, 10:03 AM
I just registered and just scanning over this entire website. Very nice.

I can't post any pictures .... I don't have a digital, yet .

I'll review the library. I appreciate everyone's comments.

I'm looking forward to destroying my bathroom and building it back up.

Jeff