tile cutter info [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : tile cutter info

ctc
08-12-2004, 03:18 AM
Hello to all,
I have decided to take the plunge and do my first tile job. It is going to be a relatively simple job (I hope). I will be tiling the floor in our new sunroom. It is a rectangle, about 250 sq ft. The tile will be layed on a new concrete slab, nice and flat. I am going to use some 13" tile, a few of which I will be cutting in half, diagonally. The diagonal measurement is 18.5" But first I need to get a cutter. Which is why I am here. I have seen that many cutters list the size of tile they can cut, 13", 20" etc., but it seems to be a "nominal" size. I just looked at an 18" cutter today that would accept a 19" tile. I have an opportunity to buy a used Felker FC-18 cutter. Everything I have read up on about this cutter says the max size it will cut is 18". I am wondering, is it really 18" or 18+". Does anyone out there have any experience with one of these cutters? Whew, that was long winded for a simple question. I think I'm rambling, time for bed. Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links

Unregistered
08-12-2004, 03:50 AM
you should be fine with this cutter but just barely why dont u take a piece of 13 x 13 that u plan to use and try it on the cutter to be certain!

jay f
08-12-2004, 06:56 AM
Although you may get lucky, I have rarely had much success diagonal cutting tile exactly in half with a snap cutter. If you do try, only expect to get one piece from each cut attempt. If you are tight on tile and have little waste figured, the only way to get two pieces from a cut is to use a diamond, be it wet or dry. :twitch:

John Bridge
08-12-2004, 07:26 AM
Welcome aboard. :) Please give us a first name and tell us where you are located. There may be some other tips we can give you on laying tiles on a slab. :)

I agree with Jay. I would buy, borrow or rent a wet saw.

ctc
08-12-2004, 10:39 AM
My name is Carl, and I am located just down the street from you, John, in Sugar Land, Tx. Thanks for the advice, Jay and John. I need a cutter anyway to straight cut some 18" tiles, I was just hoping to avoid any extra cost of rental, but since it is only about 8-10 tiles I need to cut diagonally, that is probably the route I'll take. In response to nmstoneman, the cutter is not in this area, so I can't try it out for size.

andyl
08-12-2004, 04:55 PM
You should be able to diagonal a 13" as there is a gap at the end of the cutter for the corner to fit through. How successful you are depends on how hard the tile is and how "skillful" you are scoring the tile.

Andy

Davestone
08-12-2004, 08:27 PM
On those diag cuts it's sometimes better to just score it and break it over the edge of something.