tiling up the wall (tile estimate) [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : tiling up the wall (tile estimate)

Todd
08-11-2004, 07:07 PM
Hi,

I'm in the process of estimating the tile I'll need for my bathroom. I'd love to run this by you all -- I'd appreciate your thoughts.

The bathroom has a tub that is separate from the shower stall. We're planning on tiling half-way up the wall around the entire bathroom. I'd like the tile next to the tub to be at the same height as elsewhere in the room. The tub is only for soaking.

Are there recommendations on how high I should tile up the wall? Is there a standard height (e.g., 4 ft), or does it depend on one's preference? Does code specify a minimum height of tile above the tub? Also, are there minimums for tiling outside the shower door (above the half wall of tile)?

Finally, all of the bathrooms I've seen have the half-wall of tile at a uniform height around the room. Does it look unusual or goofy if the tile is higher over the tub and shorter elsewhere?

Cheers,

Todd

Sponsored Links

Davestone
08-11-2004, 07:15 PM
Here, you have to go above the shower head.Here the wainscoat can go as high as you want but it's usually3' to 4'. No, i don't think the different heights look odd,that's usually the way they turn out,but it seems in Europe they tile more area. :)

Shaughnn
08-11-2004, 08:12 PM
Hi Todd,
4' wainscotting is the standard but not the rule. Look at your room with an imaginary line drawn at 4' from the floor and you may see some features that will help you make your decision. A window that would be awkward to tile around might cause you to lower the wainscotting to 3' 2""? Electrical fixtures like plugs and lightswitches might cause you to raise the wainscotting to 4' 6"? Maybe you have a bathroom vanity with a backsplash at 3' 6" that you want to continue around the room? Or maybe you have a pedestal sink with a mirrored cabinet that you want to frame into the wainscotting? As you see, there's quite a few variables.
Also, the dimensions of the tile you choose can dictate the lay-out and finished lines. If you are going to vary the height of the wainscotting, is there trim available in the tile that you've selected that will allow you to transition from one elevation to the next? You will need corner pieces and "stops" in you are using a liner in your wainscotting.
Can you post a picture or two of the walls you plan to tile with the most features on them. Have you already selected material? And finally, don't get discouraged. I might have tossed a lot of "what if's" at you but the answers are pretty easy to come to and the project is well within your grasp, I'm sure.
Welcome aboard the wonderful world of tile!,.
Shaughnn

Todd
08-11-2004, 10:54 PM
Hi Shaughnn,

I've attached a photo of the bathroom. The is the pre picture. I've already gutted the shower and will finish gutting it next week (my vacation).

The house is a ranch from 1949 and we want to keep the tile within the house's style. We've decided to use 6x6 tile, much like the existing pattern, shown in the photo. Pink and grey are not our colors and we're working on the colors (probably taupes and greens).

In the picture, you'll notice the grey tile window sill. I'm going to replace the window, and probably tile up to just short of the grey accent line (you might be able to see it in the photo). I want to have a wood sill and apron on the new window. Sounds like I should scale it to use full tiles :idea: . I just wanted to make sure that practical wasn't against code.

Otherwise, I may build the vanity by hand and I'm thinking about possibly using a concrete counter top. But that is somewhat flexible.

Oh I noticed you were in the north bay, Shaungnn. Have you ever used Heath Ceramics and do you have thoughts on their tile? We like the idea of buying local tile and they have great overstock for accent colors.

Todd

Shaughnn
08-12-2004, 06:58 AM
Todd,
Dropping the tile line to below the window apron should be just fine. Remember about those light fixtures though. Heath Ceramics are top notch. They are high fired hand made tiles that have beautiful glazes. MacIntyre is another "local" tile maker with a lot of history. Heath is in Sausalito and MacIntyre is in Cotati. The one thing to keep in mind is that these tiles will be slightly irregular. You will need to take extra care in setting your courses level and plumb.
There is a store in Novato called "Tile Seconds" and they stock both maker's wares at reduced prices. They are only open on Friday and Saturday until "around 3", so call first.
Shaughnn

Todd
08-12-2004, 09:12 AM
Thanks, Shaughnn!

We haven't ventured as far as MacIntyre, but I've seen their tile at a local dealer. I've also talked to Sonoma Tile and Handcrafted Tile (Milpitas) and visted Fireclay (San Jose).

We're really liked Fireclay. They have a Debris series that is 50% recycled. I like the idea and some of the tiles are amazing. We decided on Heath because we want to have a matte finish. Heath has a really nice blend of colors in matte. The others seem to specialize in satin or glossy glazes.

Both Fireclay and Heath sell first and seconds on site. I've seen the web site for Tile Seconds, but we haven't made it there.

Best :) ,

Todd