More questions on shower prep [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : More questions on shower prep

mom5
08-11-2004, 10:52 AM
Ok, I have spent hours reading this forum, I have studied THE book (Thanks John, the book is already looking worn) and I think I understand the steps.

1. First part of drain assembly
2. mud bed
3. thin set
4. Liner
5. second part of drain assembly
6. mud bed
7. thin set and set tile

Now the twist. We are building a house on a concrete slab that has a 6' x8' shower area that is sloped appropriately to the drain. the concrete finishers left a samll place around the pipe just large enough to install the drain. Now we step in. We are planning a "roll in" shower with no curb.

It is my understanding that with our set up, we omit steps 2 and 6, is this correct? In other words just use thin set to set the pan liner and then thin set over this for the tile. I am missing something? We are planning to extend the liner up the wall about 4" and also out the entrance about 1 foot. There is drying room in the shower so we won't be dripping all over the bathroom.
Does this all sound about right? :rolleyes:

thanks,
Barb

Sponsored Links

Rd Tile
08-11-2004, 04:31 PM
You don't have to thinset the liner down, just place it over the pre-slope, you also need a sloped mudbed over the liner, you can't tile over it, unless this is a Kerdi install, then you can, I've never used it yet.:)

mom5
08-11-2004, 11:44 PM
How thick does this mud bed have to be? I don't want the shower floor ending up higher than the bathroom floor.

thanks,
Barb

davem
08-11-2004, 11:57 PM
Hi Barb, welcome. :) Please read about Anthony's shower. It's a kerdi job, like you *may* end up with (hang on for other opinions). http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=12876&page=3&pp=15

mom5
08-12-2004, 03:05 PM
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the link to Anthony's posts. I think I am going to rethink the shower pan system and maybe consider the Kerdi.
I got a kick out of Anthony's self description. My husband and I are building our house, too. Neither of us are builders by trade, but I am a bookworm and computer junkie too. I have plumbed the house and we are starting the electric wiring this weekend. We both have this "can do" attitude. It might take us a lot longer to do the jobs than the professionals, but hey, it is a blast to learn and do these things.

Barb

proszkow
08-12-2004, 03:22 PM
Barb, I'm a do it yourselfer like yourself and this forum and the pros are great. Just finishing up my shower from scratch and could not have gotten past step one without this forum.

Based on my research and experience the final mudbed should add about another 1 1/2" of thickness.

Alex

Davestone
08-12-2004, 03:53 PM
Generally on a shower floor such as yours if you use a membrane you'll have to make a small rolling curb or waterproof a large area outside of shower. If you use a membrane liner you'll have to mud over it at least an inch for it to be strong enough to support tile over the ripples in the liner without cracking,with this method the small curb comes in to keep water from going outside shower area. You make a slight pre-slope where curb would be then slope on top of pan, but with this method you need to make shower area large to keep water from getting out where it can leak out,that's why you have to waterproof larger area outside to keep inevitable overspalsh in. These types are usually for handicap or commercial showers.