I'm finished with my project [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : I'm finished with my project

Kurt M.
08-10-2004, 07:01 PM
I"M DONE, DONE!
Thanks to the help of several good people on this board I finally finished my first tiling project. I can say that the project would not have been as solid were it not for the advice here. So, all you beginners (like me) listen to the advice given here.

3 Weeks ago I started laying out plans to redo our entrance hall. It was dark, the hardwood floor 16 years old and dull, and the wallpaper looked like from the 30s. I pulled all the wallpaper off and cleaned the walls and painted the whole thing. Next I pulled out all the old hardwood flooring and patched were necessary.

In my mind I already had everything laid out. I now experimented dry-laying the marble and part of the hardwood floor that surround the perimeters of the marble. Next, I built up the sub-floor to 1 1/4" throughout the hallway and laid 1/4" Hardy board were the marble was to go. I previously purchased 1/2" cement board, but changed my mind because of the thickness, which would have resultrf in a higher floor transition to other rooms.

Since the marble is surrounded by hardwood flooring it was recommended to me to lay the hard wood first because shooting the nails could weaken the marble if I laid it first. But, I did put down the marble first. This allowed me to place the hardwood tight against the edge of the marble, which really looks great.

Laying down the marble was easy, using 1/16" spacers. The next day I put unsanded grout down. This also came out better than I figured and cleanup was not bad at all. However, I couldn't get rid of some haze even after extensive scrubbing. I purchased some grout/mortar cleaner, but that didn't help a bit. I searched this Website and found comments to use white vinegar. That helped immensely and all haze is completely gone and the high polish looks like new. I simply dampened a clean rack with vinegar and rubbed it diagonally across the marble several times. Then cleaned it up with a paper towel and gave it a light buff using an old T-shirt.

Today I nailed down 1/4" strips along the baseboard hung the pictures back. The only thing left to do is putting grout sealer down, which I will do tomorrow. Here are some pictures of my work. Thanks for your help. The kitchen and dinning room is next.
:)

Sponsored Links

davem
08-10-2004, 07:12 PM
Looks great Kurt, job well done. :cool: :bow: :cool:

Davy
08-10-2004, 07:40 PM
Looks good Kurt but don't get in the habit of using vinegar on your marble. Get some marble cleaner, I think Aqua Mix makes "marble maintain" just for marble. :)

John Bridge
08-11-2004, 06:03 PM
Hi Kurt, :)

The job looks great, but after you said you gave up on the backer board you didn't go on to tell what's under the marble. Did you set it directly on the plywood subfloor?

Yes, and the vinegar. You saw that in relation to ceramic tile, not marble tiles.

Kurt M.
08-12-2004, 05:41 AM
John, I placed 1/4 Hardy board under it.

And the vinegar think, well, it worked better than anything else I tried to get rid of the haze, but probably will stay away from it for regular maintenance.

John Bridge
08-12-2004, 06:27 AM
Good. First class job, Kurt. :)