which fiberglass for redgard? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : which fiberglass for redgard?

beat
08-09-2004, 03:25 PM
Hey all,
I know I'm not to use the fiberglass tape that is for sheetrock applications. I couldnt find anything in the tiling area at HD, so I was going to look elsewhere. Are we talking about the kind of cloth that one uses when patching a boat or doing anysort of fiberglass work? If so, will just a lightweight do? This is a place I used to frequent when I was in school. They have a variety. Could someone point out something similar to what theyve used for me?
http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/category.php?bid=6

thanks, beat

Sponsored Links

Mike2
08-09-2004, 04:23 PM
Hi Beat.

Back to HD, you should be able to find rolls of it it right next to, or very close to the tiling backer board. If not, ask the nearest Sales Associate with no pimples. :D

Rd Tile
08-09-2004, 04:39 PM
Mike,the 6" fabric that works well is never at any HD I've been to, but yes, the 2" backerboard tape should be there, I use the same fabric that comes with Laticrete's 9235, it can be used with Redgard also.:)

beat
08-09-2004, 04:57 PM
Thanks guys,
So I can use the same stuff that is for cement boards?

Mike2
08-09-2004, 05:18 PM
Hi Beat.

Yeah, what RD said, if it's 6" wide material you are looking for/need, I've never seen that at any big box store either. What exactly are you doing with the Red Gard and tape Beat? Just a simple inside corner or something else? Over what? In where? etc.

beat
08-09-2004, 10:09 PM
Hi Mike,
I am going to need it for the general corners and transitions from floor to wall. I will also need it to go around the shower drain so I will need some bigger pieces of it. If it is like the stuff from tap plastics I can get it in sheet form and not just strips. I would like the drain to come out 10" in all directions or a 24" square basically. I have a funky shaped shower pan to form.
thanks,
beat

Trask
08-10-2004, 01:52 AM
Hey why not save some $$ and time and just use a sheet of pvc. It's a far superior installation since in my humble opinion Red Guard meets the very low low end of the spect. for water proofing.

tileguytodd
08-10-2004, 08:58 AM
Trask, Beat has a particularly odd shape.
Beat, fiberglass cloth,Lightweight(as in boat repairs) will work fine. The Kerdiband(get the wide) would be a better choice as its thinner.If you have a couple days,order it Today from Tile-experts.com.David will have it to you in no time at all .Ask him for an installation shet and it will show you how to make some really cool corners:)

TimmyB
08-10-2004, 09:39 AM
I found the fiber glass sheeting in the paint section of Home Depot. Near the resin you would typically use with it.

Tim

Unregistered
08-10-2004, 10:25 AM
Thanks again guys,
I will be by there again today. The Lowes here didnt even have any sort of sheet good for membrane. If I cant find the 'glass or Kerdi today I will follow your suggestion Todd.
Have a good one,
beat

Trask
08-10-2004, 12:03 PM
Are you using Kerdi in place of the glass? It sounds like a great idea, if I understand correctly.